The Student Room Group

Oblique Impact Between Two Smooth Spheres

IMG_20210120_230034-compressed.jpg.jpeg

I could prove the expression for J in this question, and I got the value of delta using the general equation of the kinetic energy of a body. But I want to know how to get the same answer by considering the impulse. And I think I'm stuck at there. If someone can help me to solve that part and also the last two parts, It is really appreciated...
Answering this from scratch is going to be rather a lot of work (that I don't really feel like doing). Some thoughts:

I can't see how knowing the impulse is going to help (i.e. I think you're basically going to end up calculating the K.E. whatever you do).

If A has velocities x1, y1 parallel/perpendicular to the line of centres before the collision, and velocities x2, y2 after the collision (in the same directions), then the angle of deflection is going to be arctan(y2/x2) - arctan(y1/x1). But then you can calculate the tangent of this using the formula for tan(A - B) (and y1/x1 is going to = t, and you can also work out y2/x2 in terms of t). It will probably need a bit of algebra bashing, but I wouldn't expect it to be too bad.

For the last part, T is going to be maximised when (1+e)/T is minimized, and the other side of that expression is just a function of t, so you can find the value of t that minimizes it.

If you're still stuck and you post your working, I might have a look, but I make no promises (these questions are rather tedious IMHO).
Reply 2
Thankyou...

Quick Reply

Latest