HelloZello
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
https://gyazo.com/d1ae66a4fcc1e24e442511c7a06597d7
please help
i got up to finding the distances but am just confused on what to do right after
Last edited by HelloZello; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you sketched it?
HelloZello
Rep:
?
yeah I just drew a diagram with a tangent intersecting at A and another tangent intersecting at B- I found the radius to be root 20 and CP(centre to point P(x,y) in the question said it was root 65 so I was thinking of doing pythagoras and I got AP=root 45 and next I was thinking of finding P through using the distance formula between 2 points A and P which I already know of A and using the Length of AP I got root 45=(root (6-x) squared+(-1-y)squared)-all varables are in the roots and I was thinking of finding the gradient of Ac and using the perpendicular gradient to find the equation of line intersecting at A and making y the subject and substituting in that formula I got and I'm kinda confused on what to do next since there seems to be so much working out
HelloZello
Rep:
?
https://gyazo.com/9606f02d4992d072d8e153f6b133f9f0
HelloZello
Rep:
?
wait I think I found my mistake hold up I didn't read the question tangents at A AND b intersect at P yikes i just followed my teachers working out
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HelloZello)
yeah I just drew a diagram with a tangent intersecting at A and another tangent intersecting at B- I found the radius to be root 20 and CP(centre to point P(x,y) in the question said it was root 65 so I was thinking of doing pythagoras and I got AP=root 45 and next I was thinking of finding P through using the distance formula between 2 points A and P which I already know of A and using the Length of AP I got root 45=(root (6-x) squared+(-1-y)squared)-all varables are in the roots and I was thinking of finding the gradient of Ac and using the perpendicular gradient to find the equation of line intersecting at A and making y the subject and substituting in that formula I got and I'm kinda confused on what to do next since there seems to be so much working out
That's the question again?
A bit of simple trig should see you good with the right diagram.
HelloZello
Rep:
?
yeah-oh I never considered using trig for some reason so that seems to be making the question harder hmmmmmmm
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah-oh I never considered using trig for some reason so that seems to be making the question harder hmmmmmmm
Can you upload what you've done / tried. For trig, read congruent triangles.
HelloZello
Rep:
?
i dont have a phone at the moment srry only a pc but if I do get a solution ill try to type it here...
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i dont have a phone at the moment srry only a pc but if I do get a solution ill try to type it here...
Sure, you get the equation of the circle. And for each {P,B} pair, you have two congruent right angled triangles PAC and PBC where C is the centre. That's about it, shouldn't need too much work.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
HelloZello
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Sure, you get the equation of the circle. And for each {P,B} pair, you have two congruent right angled triangles PAC and PBC where C is the centre. That's about it, shouldn't need too much work.
still not sure
HelloZello
Rep:
?
nevermind
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
still not sure
It really would help to see a sketch of what you think the problem looks like and what you've done. You can treat it as a line intersection, ... problem, but a bit of geometry will get you there quicker.
HelloZello
Rep:
?
https://gyazo.com/7e56110aab2a0cb3cf64a4054f5065dc thats the answers its just substitution after substitution it'll make you go crazy
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://gyazo.com/7e56110aab2a0cb3cf64a4054f5065dc thats the answers its just substitution after substitution it'll make you go crazy
I agree. The diagram is the most important part - the two congruent right angled triangle with lengths.
What are you asking about, given that you have the "solution"
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
HelloZello
Rep:
?
ah no i didnt solve it- that was the answers on that question i tried to solve it without looking at the questions lol

(Original post by mqb2766)
I agree. The diagram is the most important part - the two congruent right angled triangle with lengths.
What are you asking about, given that you have the "solution"
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ah no i didnt solve it- that was the answers on that question i tried to solve it without looking at the questions lol
If you have a question about what you've done, just upload it. Otherwise, if it's about the solution, what don't you understand?
HelloZello
Rep:
?
-i cant upload if I don't have a phone so yh wish I did
-I think I might be confusing myself with the congruency portion of the question I tried to find the arguments and maybe use the sine rule(a/sinA=b/sinB) for finding out the length I think am overcomplicating this question,srry for being a burden
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
-i cant upload if I don't have a phone so yh wish I did
-I think I might be confusing myself with the congruency portion of the question I tried to find the arguments and maybe use the sine rule(a/sinA=b/sinB) for finding out the length I think am overcomplicating this question,srry for being a burden
Upload tomorrow when you have a phone?
HelloZello
Rep:
?
i dont have a phone in general- my parents have one though and it might be awkward
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (401)
52.15%
No (368)
47.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed