Telling my mum I want to study 'far away'

Watch
cchloepx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I've been set on studying Italian for over two years now, so I applied to Glasgow, St Andrews, and Edinburgh which are the only Scottish unis who offer Italian. I wanted to use up all of my 5 choices so I also applied to Leeds and Kent.

My mum really wanted me to go to Glasgow because it's close to home, but honestly, i can't stand the thought of being at home or being close to home. My relationship with my mum isn't bad, persay, but it's strained a bit and i have an awful relationship with my brother and would like to be as far away from him as I can get.

For so long I thought I wanted Glasgow but I think it's just what my mum wanted. So I got an offer from Leeds for Italian and Japanese and I really want to take when I get the rest of my offers. Leeds looks like a great uni. I like the look of the facilities, the modules available to me in my course, the way the course is set out, and the accommodation is really nice.

But my mum thinks Leeds is 'too far' (even though it's only 4 hours.. it's not like I'm planning to firm Kent lol). I know I can do whatever I want, but I just feel like she's trying to guilt trip me into going to Glasgow. I think she'll end up accepting my choice, but I really don't know how to tell her that I'm going to firm Leeds.

It sounds silly, but I don't want her to be mad at me or anything. I don't really get the distance thing either. 2/5 years of my degree will be spent in Japan and Italy (or Germany and Italy for my other choices) so we're going to be at a distance anyway, lol.

Anyone experienced something similar? How did you tell your parent(s)?
frankieshep
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by cchloepx)
I've been set on studying Italian for over two years now, so I applied to Glasgow, St Andrews, and Edinburgh which are the only Scottish unis who offer Italian. I wanted to use up all of my 5 choices so I also applied to Leeds and Kent.

My mum really wanted me to go to Glasgow because it's close to home, but honestly, i can't stand the thought of being at home or being close to home. My relationship with my mum isn't bad, persay, but it's strained a bit and i have an awful relationship with my brother and would like to be as far away from him as I can get.

For so long I thought I wanted Glasgow but I think it's just what my mum wanted. So I got an offer from Leeds for Italian and Japanese and I really want to take when I get the rest of my offers. Leeds looks like a great uni. I like the look of the facilities, the modules available to me in my course, the way the course is set out, and the accommodation is really nice.

But my mum thinks Leeds is 'too far' (even though it's only 4 hours.. it's not like I'm planning to firm Kent lol). I know I can do whatever I want, but I just feel like she's trying to guilt trip me into going to Glasgow. I think she'll end up accepting my choice, but I really don't know how to tell her that I'm going to firm Leeds.

It sounds silly, but I don't want her to be mad at me or anything. I don't really get the distance thing either. 2/5 years of my degree will be spent in Japan and Italy (or Germany and Italy for my other choices) so we're going to be at a distance anyway, lol.

Anyone experienced something similar? How did you tell your parent(s)?
Hey I can't say I've experienced a situation similar apart from the fact that I've gone to a boarding school for sixth form. At first, I thought I wanted to go on my own terms, but I realised that the majority of the reason I said I would go is because my parents thought it would be a great opportunity (and I was offered a scholarship).
In reality, I actually deep down just wanted to stay at my current sixth form with my friends. Because of this, I'd say please go with what you know you want to do. I know that it will be hard for your mum but this will be 5 years of your degree and not being where you really want to go might make you regret it. From what you said, I can tell that Leeds really appeals to you so if that's really what you want, hopefully your mum will come to understand it. Remember, it's your uni experience, not hers.
Hope that helps x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (372)
32.04%
No (789)
67.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise