Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Nadim Chowdhury)
If you do go German, audi is basically a rebadged VW. So an Audi A3 1.6Tdi will have the same engine as a Vw golf 1.6 tdi. So an Audi will probably be the cheapest to fix if it does go wrong.
I wish people would stop perpetuating this. VAG shares platforms, engines, and gearboxes between its brands. That's about it though. Age of those shared parts tends to trickle down from the upper brands (Audi) to the lower brands (Seat, Skoda).

If all you care about is drivetrain then get a Seat or Skoda - the parts will have a few more years of real-world testing and revision behind them. If you care about exterior styling, interior styling, general fit and finish, or having the latest tech for a given year than an Audi will be the answer. VW sits somewhere in the middle. Some components may be parts-bin between the brands and models (door latches, sensors, suspension/brake components) but the bits you see and touch will almost certainly be different between the brands and models.

For example - Skoda Fabia interior:

Audi A1 interior:

Completely different cars!

Badge engineering is *far* more prevalent in some other brands which literally just stick a different badge on the front with maybe some different headlights and a different grille.
username2301217
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
I wish people would stop perpetuating this. VAG shares platforms, engines, and gearboxes between its brands. That's about it though. Age of those shared parts tends to trickle down from the upper brands (Audi) to the lower brands (Seat, Skoda).

If all you care about is drivetrain then get a Seat or Skoda - the parts will have a few more years of real-world testing and revision behind them. If you care about exterior styling, interior styling, general fit and finish, or having the latest tech for a given year than an Audi will be the answer. VW sits somewhere in the middle. Some components may be parts-bin between the brands and models (door latches, sensors, suspension/brake components) but the bits you see and touch will almost certainly be different between the brands and models.

Audi A1 interior:

Badge engineering is *far* more prevalent in some other brands which literally just stick a different badge on the front with maybe some different headlights and a different grille.
That's what I meant, should've made it clear. Examples of rebadged cars would be toyota aygo/Citroen c1/peugoet 107 and 108.
cee.costa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nuffles)

Audi A1 interior:

Thankyou for the response, I think I have decided on an Audi A5 now to be honest got suggested to go look at them and had my heart set ever since.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (546)
14.63%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (418)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (514)
13.77%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (185)
4.96%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.39%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.5%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.41%

Watched Threads