The Student Room Group

Getting into UCL from non-RG unis?

Hello,

I recently graduated architecture (2:1, 65%) from Ravensbourne and want to do something in management in the construction industry for masters so I've been doing my research on some good programmes I could do next year.

The best one I've seen so far in terms of the modules offered is Construction Economics and Management in UCL, but with the current situation, it's not easy to get a job in construction (for me at least, I've been trying) so I'm not gonna be able to use any sort of experience to support my application.

UCL is looking for a 2:2 for minimum qualifications. Is it realistic to apply even though I won't have any sort of job experience at the time I send my application in? And that I only got a 2:1 from a university that constantly ranks at the bottom of the list? Not to mention I f*cked around in Year 1 (got 49%) and I'm not sure if this would affect my application.

I know I'm a bit insecure rn lol but I really wanna get into this programme.
Original post by anavrin
Hello,

I recently graduated architecture (2:1, 65%) from Ravensbourne and want to do something in management in the construction industry for masters so I've been doing my research on some good programmes I could do next year.

The best one I've seen so far in terms of the modules offered is Construction Economics and Management in UCL, but with the current situation, it's not easy to get a job in construction (for me at least, I've been trying) so I'm not gonna be able to use any sort of experience to support my application.

UCL is looking for a 2:2 for minimum qualifications. Is it realistic to apply even though I won't have any sort of job experience at the time I send my application in? And that I only got a 2:1 from a university that constantly ranks at the bottom of the list? Not to mention I f*cked around in Year 1 (got 49%) and I'm not sure if this would affect my application.

You don’t know unless you apply, every masters is different so I can’t really say but from what ive seen I think you have a decent shot at an offer providing your undergrad meets the prerequisites.

The only thing you have to lose is the application fee, and you can always email admissions before apply to check you won’t be straight rejected.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
You don’t know unless you apply, every masters is different so I can’t really say but from what ive seen I think you have a decent shot at an offer providing your undergrad meets the prerequisites.

The only thing you have to lose is the application fee, and you can always email admissions before apply to check you won’t be straight rejected.

I know I can't know unless I apply, I guess I was wondering more about the likelihood given my educational background and if there was anyone who has a clear cut idea about how realistic my goals are.

I guess I could shoot them an email though. Thanks.
Original post by anavrin
I know I can't know unless I apply, I guess I was wondering more about the likelihood given my educational background and if there was anyone who has a clear cut idea about how realistic my goals are.

I guess I could shoot them an email though. Thanks.

Lots of people move up prestige wise university for postgraduate studies. Ive seen people move from an ex-poly to Imperial so it’s definitely doable but I just don’t know how competitive this particular course is.
Original post by mnot
Lots of people move up prestige wise university for postgraduate studies. Ive seen people move from an ex-poly to Imperial so it’s definitely doable but I just don’t know how competitive this particular course is.

Second this, including the ex-poly to Imperial ...... with a bit of a caveat.

When doing MSc admissions the admissions team might take a look at you and the institution you are from and say “looks ok on paper, 1st one we have seen from institution-X let’s give it a go and see how they do”, but they also build up an institutional memory over the years. They want to recruit broadly and effectively and "grow" their intake. However, if previous students on that MSc from a similar background have done badly then that gets remembered and so some institutions make it onto an informal blacklist, because the results students arrive with don’t seem to reflect their “real” abilities. My institution does this, we definitely have a few places we won’t take students from, no matter how good the marks look on paper as a result. Dont let that put you off, apply and see how you go.
Reply 5
Original post by anavrin
Hello,

I've known and worked with a few people who did courses which would look to be related to the one you are looking at at UCL. Not sure about the economics part - they were quantity surveyors. Non had overly impressive academic backgrounds. I suspect its worth applying if you can stomach the fees.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
I've known and worked with a few people who did courses which would look to be related to the one you are looking at at UCL. Not sure about the economics part - they were quantity surveyors. Non had overly impressive academic backgrounds. I suspect its worth applying if you can stomach the fees.

Regardless of the university that I'm coming from? Where did the people you know come from undergrad though, because I feel like that would affect UCL's decision to admit them, which is my main concern. And did they have work experience?

Construction Economics afaik is for Quantity Surveying, which is what I'm going for. I live in London and would rather not move away for now and there are only two universities that offer these courses: UCL and Westminster. I don't wanna sound obnoxious but I don't wanna go to Westminster as far as possible, I've had friends who went there who had nothing but complaints. I'll most likely move to Edinburgh to attend Heriot-Watt or Reading if UCL doesn't take me, which I wouldn't mind, but strong preference to stay where I am now if possible.

Technically, there are a couple of companies that would take me to be a quantity surveyor trainee with just an architecture degree, but options are severely limited. I have tried applying to those grad schemes and I only got about 5 interviews out of about 30 applications, ultimately didn't get to the last stage in any of them.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by anavrin
Regardless of the university that I'm coming from? Where did the people you know come from undergrad though, because I feel like that would affect UCL's decision to admit them, which is my main concern. And did they have work experience?

Construction Economics afaik is for Quantity Surveying, which is what I'm going for. I live in London and would rather not move away for now and there are only two universities that offer these courses: UCL and Westminster. I don't wanna sound obnoxious but I don't wanna go to Westminster as far as possible, I've had friends who went there who had nothing but complaints. I'll most likely move to Edinburgh to attend Heriot-Watt or Reading if UCL doesn't take me, which I wouldn't mind, but strong preference to stay where I am now if possible.

Technically, there are a couple of companies that would take me to be a quantity surveyor trainee with just an architecture degree, but options are severely limited. I have tried applying to those grad schemes and I only got about 5 interviews out of about 30 applications, ultimately didn't get to the last stage in any of them.

Regardless of the university that I'm coming from?

Interesting question. I think a there is a risk of thinking at university rather than department levels. My rough understanding is that some top universities like UCL may look at undergrad universities when people apply for masters (especially ones which are competitive to get into which is not all that common) to make sure the students are properly prepared for the course. So STEM etc - might matter a lot, or you may need higher grades from a lower ranking university. I don't think that applies very generally. Bear in mind that a considerable proportion of students on masters degrees at all universities and especially places like UCL didn't go to 'ranked' undergrad schools in any place. Thats really a US/ UK/ Chinese type educational set up.

Where did the people you know come from undergrad though, because I feel like that would affect UCL's decision to admit them, which is my main concern.

One was at Reading, one from a Nigerian university. Not sure for others - suspect African/ overseas.

I've spent 20 years plus working with QSs - there is a real range of undergrad degrees or no degrees at all among those at managerial level (may be different on heavy construction projects). Lots of companies have entry level jobs, at least when we are not in a pandemic. 5 interviews out of 30 applications is pretty good! Especially if your A levels are not top notch?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending