Nathan8520
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Currently in year 12 and looking to apply to Oxbridge but having a hard time deciding weather Oxford or Cambridge would be better. From what I have found Cambridge is generally regarded as the better one for cs but after looking at the website I am finding it hard to pick one.I am studying maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and computer science and got decent GCSEs. I am much more interested in the programming and algorithms side of cs than computer architecture and networking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dillt2003
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Both are world-leading universities, so try and not let a marginally better reputation for one university sway your judgement. Instead, consider which university offers you the best choices, most suited to your interests: is one particularly good with respects to programming and algorithms?

That being said, I applied to Cambridge (for History) and it's 10000% better!
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nathan8520)
Currently in year 12 and looking to apply to Oxbridge but having a hard time deciding weather Oxford or Cambridge would be better. From what I have found Cambridge is generally regarded as the better one for cs but after looking at the website I am finding it hard to pick one.I am studying maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and computer science and got decent GCSEs. I am much more interested in the programming and algorithms side of cs than computer architecture and networking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Go somewhere offering a year in industry ..
oppiwall
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ignore people who come on Oxbridge threads and tell you to go elsewhere.
casabonita
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
definitely look through the course summaries of both, see what modules are more suited to you! i think cambridge do study stuff like networking and architecture, but at oxford i think these are just options so you wouldnt have to take them. they're both very mathematical in nature though, so look deeply into the courses and see what you'd enjoy more. good luck!
bvbx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Go somewhere offering a year in industry ..
Is it good to do a year in industry the third year and then apply to oxbridge for masters?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by oppiwall)
Ignore people who come on Oxbridge threads and tell you to go elsewhere.
Why? Some degrees are better elsewhere ...
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bvbx)
Is it good to do a year in industry the third year and then apply to oxbridge for masters?
I would ...
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nathan8520)
I believe Bill Gates/Microsoft funded a whole research centre in Cambridge so on that basis im inclined to say Cambridge. But I suspect the relative difference in exit prospects will be negligible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (392)
32.24%
No (824)
67.76%

Watched Threads