The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Is Durham full of entitled, pretentious southerners?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ray3RE
What course + college did you apply for?

English at Stevo- so I'm aware that all English courses tend to be dominated by a certain demographic anyway (again, this is working on stereotypes) BUT I feel like it'll be worsened there. Like their gospel choir was dominated by white people when it's got a rich history in black communities and that doesn't sit right with me (I am a musician and can see myself doing lots of performing arts).

I got an offer yesterday, and it was contextual so AAB if I firm it which is SO lovely from them.

Original post by Bang Outta Order
EXACTLY. There's posh and chavvy all over the country, how ridiculous is this civil war north south stereotypical attitude we have.

To clarify because I don't want to offend anybody: I wasn't implying that all southerners are rich/middle class/stuck up or that northerners CAN'T be, the whole entitled southern thing is just one stereotype I've seen a LOT of re: Durham. I actually lived in the North for a LONG time and I miss it so much; we moved down here to care for a family member (I'm in a working class area to the West of London) but yeah I've grown accustomed to diversity you know? Both in terms of class and race
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by Mikos
As for OP, if you love the course and place I wouldn't hold back. You're going to meet people that aren't necessarily the most down to earth or easy to relate to no matter where you go. On the contrary, you will also meet people who you will gel with nicely. Don't let a few people who you won't choose to spend your time with anyway stop you from going to the university that's best for you :smile:

For anybody wondering the same thing as me: this seems to be the consensus. Thank you for reassuring me! I think it's just the culture as a whole but I'm sure I'll meet Good People and so on. Plus, they're so good as a faculty for my subject, I'd be a fool not to take the offer. Are any of you doing the calls they've offered offer holders? I didn't get sent the form thing until this morning, but I'm doing the one tonight. Exciting stuff! :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by zazzy.r
English at Stevo- so I'm aware that all English courses tend to be dominated by a certain demographic anyway (again, this is working on stereotypes) BUT I feel like it'll be worsened there. Like their gospel choir was dominated by white people when it's got a rich history in black communities and that doesn't sit right with me (I am a musician and can see myself doing lots of performing arts).

I got an offer yesterday, and it was contextual so AAB if I firm it which is SO lovely from them.

To clarify because I don't want to offend anybody: I wasn't implying that all southerners are rich/middle class/stuck up or that northerners CAN'T be, the whole entitled southern thing is just one stereotype I've seen a LOT of re: Durham. I actually lived in the North for a LONG time and I miss it so much; we moved down here to care for a family member (I'm in a working class area to the West of London) but yeah I've grown accustomed to diversity you know? Both in terms of class and race

To be fair, Durham is a mainly white school in a mainly white area, it is inevitable that their choirs are as a result: mainly white. In a way them getting involved in something so close to black culture could only be a good ting or just a 'thing', but I do see where you are coming from.

Quick Reply

Latest