GamerGrilll
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,
I want to study law for my degree however I don’t know what universities I should consider. Does anyone know what the top universities are to study law?
Dillt2003
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GamerGrilll)
Hi,
I want to study law for my degree however I don’t know what universities I should consider. Does anyone know what the top universities are to study law?
Oxford, Cambridge, Durham and Bristol have good reps. UCL, Nottingham and Warwick pretty good.
Hassan116
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,
You can look at the university league tables and that will give you a general sense of which are the best performing universities for law are in the UK. Typically it would be Oxbridge and London unis at the top then mid tier would be the other Russell Group universities and at the lower end would be city universities.

There are plenty of youtube videos that will help you decide on which university is best for you so I suggest you check those out. What I would recommend is picking a university that will suit what you want out of your degree. So do things like check out the modules and see which uni has the most appealing selection. Also look at what type of university life you want, campus, city, etc. That sort of thing. But yeah, I seriously recommend you go on youtube and watch videos because they will be more extensive. Good luck.
Dillt2003
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Generally speaking, if the uni requires the LNAT, it's a good uni.
GamerGrilll
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Dillt2003)
Wouldn’t most law unis require the lnat ?
Dillt2003
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GamerGrilll)
Wouldn’t most law unis require the lnat ?
No, not most. Only the top ones! Bristol, Durham, Glasgow, KCL, LSE, Nottingham, Oxford, SOAS and UCL.
MagCar
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No, not most. Only the top ones! Bristol, Durham, Glasgow, KCL, LSE, Nottingham, Oxford, SOAS and UCL.
SOAS a top university?
Dillt2003
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MagCar)
SOAS a top university?
Note my 'generally speaking' in my previous message.

Although I would argue that it is better than quite a few of the unis in the UK though - not going to mention names....
Mikos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A rough ranking would look broadly like this
1. Cambridge/Oxf*rd
2. LSE/UCL
3. Durham/Bristol
4. KCL
5. Nottingham/Warwick
6. Exeter/Leeds
7. Most Russell Groups
8. Less prestigious Russell Groups eg QUB or Southampton. Liverpool is also not as highly regarded for law.
9. Any non RG

Generally speaking as long as you have at least a 2:1 from a Russell Group you should be okay. If you want a magic circle/US firm training contract then you’ll probably have to look higher up the table
MagCar
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Mikos)
A rough ranking would look broadly like this
1. Cambridge/Oxf*rd
2. LSE/UCL
3. Durham/Bristol
4. KCL
5. Nottingham/Warwick
6. Exeter/Leeds
7. Most Russell Groups
8. Less prestigious Russell Groups eg QUB or Southampton. Liverpool is also not as highly regarded for law.
9. Any non RG

Generally speaking as long as you have at least a 2:1 from a Russell Group you should be okay. If you want a magic circle/US firm training contract then you’ll probably have to look higher up the table
How do Edinburgh and Glasgow stand in the chart?
Mikos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MagCar)
How do Edinburgh and Glasgow stand in the chart?
Difficult to say, as it’s usually not a good idea to go to Scottish universities if you’re intending to practice in England as they teach Scots law which doesn’t qualify you to practice in England
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (374)
32.1%
No (791)
67.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise