What are the uses of studying in UK over other European countries - UKMLA?

Watch
tommycorleone
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey! I am an international student and I'm concerned about the introduction of UKMLA from our batch. If I'm not wrong, both UK medicine students and medicine students from other countries have to pass the UKMLA. So, if that is the case, why not study elsewhere?

PS : I might be heavily mistaken so please bear with me :-)
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tommycorleone)
Hey! I am an international student and I'm concerned about the introduction of UKMLA from our batch. If I'm not wrong, both UK medicine students and medicine students from other countries have to pass the UKMLA. So, if that is the case, why not study elsewhere?

PS : I might be heavily mistaken so please bear with me :-)
Because of the fact that you learn UK diseases with UK med schools, you get to practise and train in UK hospitals, and adapt to the culture of working here.

There are also potential problems like https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6857200
tommycorleone
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks ecolier!
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I guarantee the UKMLA pass rate will be a lot higher for UK med schools, just like it is for UK doctor's exams. It will be a lot easier working in the NHS if you are used to it.
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If studying Medicine in the UK is a realistic option for you, you achieve a place and have the funding available for international student fees then yeah why not go for it. But if it doesn't happen then you will not be at a disadvantage by studying Medicine outside the UK. Plenty of IMG's pass the PLAB every year for as long as it has been around, and the majority go on to pass Royal College exams once they have spent some time working in UK hospitals. When PLAB is phased out and the UKMLA comes in, there will be plenty of IMG's who continue to pass. The exam is no different in that respect - regardless of which country you study in, if you practise the right strategy for studying for the exam then you will pass. The very small minority of IMG's who don't pass are usually because their English/communication skills aren't great and/or they haven't practised for the exam, not because of the medical school they studied at. The numbers who fail are statistically insignificant to deter you from every other medical school outside the UK, provided the qualification is on the WHO list of recognised medical schools - that's the only thing it needs to be in order to be suitable to work in the UK. I would encourage you to watch the documentary called "The Foreign Doctors Are Coming", about IMG's sitting PLAB. Better still, talk to people who have done it already and passed.

There is nothing taught at UK medical schools that you can't teach yourself independently, if you aren't already being taught the same thing at your institution. Nothing that you can't learn in a couple of hours by joining some free online classes over Zoom and practising with your colleagues. So don't listen to all this BS that studying Medicine in the UK is the only acceptable route to working as a doctor in the UK, because it's not. Somewhere around a third of all doctors working in the UK today got their primary medical qualification outside the UK. Look at how many medical and surgical consultants we have from India, Pakistan, mainland Europe etc. These doctors either did MRCP/MRCS in their own countries, carried it over to work in the UK and get their CCT via CESR. Or they started from the bottom of the specialty training ladder in the UK, did their Royal College exams in the UK the same way as everyone else, and qualified.

Be undeterred in whichever route you choose. Getting "experience" working as a medical student in UK hospitals counts for nothing when it comes to applying for your first job in the UK straight out of medical school, especially as so many medical schools all over the world have rigorous courses, very difficult exams to pass and a very close to identical workload to the UK. Choose your institution carefully and you will not get a lesser experience as an IMG than you will as a UK medical student. People who try and imply that you would be at a disadvantage need to stay in their lane.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.18%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.36%
Live streaming events (51)
8.75%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (135)
23.16%
An in-person event when available (129)
22.13%