The Student Room Group

Should I start sertraline or not?

Hello,

I have recently been prescribed with sertraline but I'm really scared to take it. I grew up with a mother that never really believed in or trusted medicines or doctors very much so I have never been used to going to the doctors, which has been a new experience for me since starting university, so I don't know if I'm just overreacting because I'm just not used to ever taking medication for anything but reading the side effects and knowing that if I don't like it and want to stop I can't just automatically do it but it has to be gradual, that scares me.

So I'm just wondering what peoples experiences were with it? and if people would recommend it, because I've tried multiple talking therapies now and nothing is really working for me personally so any advice would be great, thanks.
Over a population basis SSRIs are barely better than placebo.
It probably isn't as beneficial to people as they perceive it to be.

Withdrawal is a problem. NHS does not have any support in place for people who are going through withdrawals. It is also exceptionally difficult for clinicians to differentiate between withdrawal symptoms and the return/ worsening of your illness.

Quick Reply

Latest