Suggestions for student laptop

Watch this thread
EllenMacrae
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What laptops do people have for uni?

My current laptop isn't up to the job anymore, it's heavy and slow, and I am currently on an art foundation year working with apps and images etc. which just sends it into a spasm. I'm going onto an essay subject next year, and I like to mindmap, so if I can easily mindmap on a laptop then I'd ideally like to do that.

I've been looking at a surface pro 7, but it's expensive and I don't know how it is in an everyday life situation, particularly with Covid.
username5537378
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by EllenMacrae)
What laptops do people have for uni?
I don't go to Uni, but if it helps anyway, I've got a Surface Pro 4.
My current laptop isn't up to the job anymore, it's heavy and slow, and I am currently on an art foundation year working with apps and images etc. which just sends it into a spasm. I'm going onto an essay subject next year, and I like to mindmap, so if I can easily mindmap on a laptop then I'd ideally like to do that.
What's your budget? Usually, a solid laptop with solid specs will be priced in the £500-£600 range.
I've been looking at a surface pro 7, but it's expensive and I don't know how it is in an everyday life situation, particularly with Covid.
As mentioned above, I use a Surface Pro myself, albeit an older one, and I honestly really like it. Performance is solid for just everyday tasks, especially considering the tablet, the display really is top-notch and because of the 3:2 aspect ratio it doesn't feel that cramped, while it's build quality is excellent and is really light to carry around from place to place. Also, because your hands rest on the type cover, when you're using it as a laptop you don't feel it getting too warm.

If budget is an issue, and you don't mind buying second-hand, then it could be worth looking at an older one(like mine) for a lot cheaper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (31)
34.44%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (41)
45.56%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (17)
18.89%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.11%

Watched Threads