Want more information about this university?
jahday
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone, I started at SOAS in September 2020, I'm quite enjoying it so far but I've suddenly become quite scared at the thought of graduation/finding work. After doing a lot of googling, I don't think SOAS is such a good university after all (interestingly considering the grade boundaries are so high). I've been looking at transfers but the unis I've asked say they dont accept transfers from year 2? I didn't know that was a thing either tbh... But anyways, what do you guys think? Does SOAS have good graduation prospects? Is it a good university? Is it not? I really can't decide! Thank you all xxx
Sofxx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've seen a few posts here about SOAS. Try the search bar, I think you'll find a lot!
SOAS
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jahday)
Hi everyone, I started at SOAS in September 2020, I'm quite enjoying it so far but I've suddenly become quite scared at the thought of graduation/finding work. After doing a lot of googling, I don't think SOAS is such a good university after all (interestingly considering the grade boundaries are so high). I've been looking at transfers but the unis I've asked say they dont accept transfers from year 2? I didn't know that was a thing either tbh... But anyways, what do you guys think? Does SOAS have good graduation prospects? Is it a good university? Is it not? I really can't decide! Thank you all xxx
Hi Jahday,

Our graduates go on to work in a variety of sectors.

We have graduates working in organisations such as UN, MSF and top law firms such as Clifford Chance. Many also go on to work in NGOs and policy - others have taken roles in Deloitte, HM Treasury, BBC World Service, as well as major art galleries and charities.

What programme are you currently on? We can arrange a call with an academic in your department to go over the career destinations of graduates in your area, if that would be helpful.
Naz242
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I studied history a few years ago and have got an offer with Deloitte, your prospects are absolutely fine. My fiancé who also went to SOAS got an offer for a training contract at HSF. About 50% of my friends work in civil service, 30% went into big banks or the big four and the other 20% have taken entrepreneurial routes.

You need to ask yourself why you chose SOAS. If it was only because it is a good uni you should probably leave, there are plenty of other good unis. People should only go to SOAS if you like the curriculum, like the culture or want a career in something international related, i.e. what makes SOAS unique to all other unis in the western world. Telling an interviewer you went to SOAS is far more interesting than saying you went to any other Russell Group uni. Why? because your taught to think entirely differently to other unis.

Ultimately, getting a first class is more important than what uni you went to unless its oxbridge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.89%
Virtual campus tours/open days (112)
23.28%
Live streaming events (44)
9.15%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.56%
A uni comparison tool (109)
22.66%
An in-person event when available (108)
22.45%