Help!! Are you still classed as a student when on a graduate scheme?

Watch
ms971
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I’ve recently accepted a graduate scheme which is requiring me to move to Birmingham. I’m wanting to move into private accommodation with other students however this is proving difficult as landlords are seeing me as a ‘non-student’ which makes their contracts non-applicable me. I was just wondering whether I am in fact a student when undergoing a graduate scheme as I’m completing the ACA qualification alongside? Thanks for any help!
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
no - you are not. There are issues with council tax if you share with students - so best to share with recent graduates.

Congratulations on the job! Birmingham looks a brilliant place to live as a young graduate!
najeb3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Congrtulations on getting accepted into a graduate scheme. Some landlords won't accept you as a student. try Aston Brook Green Community.. you might get accepted .. but most probably not .. you have nothing to lose.
tjames988
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nope you aren't a student, you are working and some accountancy grad schemes call it a training contract.
Regardless of if you are studying on the side with the job you are still classed as in full-term employment I think.
And the reason they would be concerned is due to council tax, it isn't down to if the landlord views you as a student or employed, it would be down to the council and they would say you are employed.

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/disco...-time-students
Even if you would think you should be classed as a student (which I wouldn't see an accountancy grad scheme as), I think it would be very hard to argue that you are a full time student

Also from your perspective, it would be better to live with non-students, firstly as you will have the same schedule and not partying during the week. And secondly, if you are the only non-student then you pay all of the council tax (minus a 25% single person discount), if you live with three other working adults then you pay 1/4 of the council tax, so would save a good amount of money
Last edited by tjames988; 4 weeks ago
ms971
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
no - you are not. There are issues with council tax if you share with students - so best to share with recent graduates.

Congratulations on the job! Birmingham looks a brilliant place to live as a young graduate!
Thank you so much!
ms971
Rep:
?
(Original post by najeb3)
Congrtulations on getting accepted into a graduate scheme. Some landlords won't accept you as a student. try Aston Brook Green Community.. you might get accepted .. but most probably not .. you have nothing to lose.
Amazing, thanks
ms971
Rep:
?
(Original post by tjames988)
Nope you aren't a student, you are working and some accountancy grad schemes call it a training contract.
Regardless of if you are studying on the side with the job you are still classed as in full-term employment I think.
And the reason they would be concerned is due to council tax, it isn't down to if the landlord views you as a student or employed, it would be down to the council and they would say you are employed.

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/disco...-time-students
Even if you would think you should be classed as a student (which I wouldn't see an accountancy grad scheme as), I think it would be very hard to argue that you are a full time student

Also from your perspective, it would be better to live with non-students, firstly as you will have the same schedule and not partying during the week. And secondly, if you are the only non-student then you pay all of the council tax (minus a 25% single person discount), if you live with three other working adults then you pay 1/4 of the council tax, so would save a good amount of money
Brilliant, thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (392)
32.24%
No (824)
67.76%

Watched Threads