Embarrassed in class

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

so it may sound weird but I had a lesson earlier on Teams and said an answer and whilst it wasn’t wrong it wasn’t 100% right and my teacher misunderstood me. when stuff like this happens i get embarrassed and want to hurt myself. it’s been playing on my mind for like three hours now. any advice on how to forget stuff like this?? whenever it happens it really toys on my mind.
parkerrr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
excuse me...what?
You want to "hurt yourself" for getting an answer wrong/ because your teacher misunderstood you?

Just don't think about it...
it happens sometimes
neme2131
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Similar stuff happens to me...especially when people expect me to get everything right all the time. Sometimes it helps to just do something you like, like reading. Maybe you could try telling yourself that no one actually cares what happened, or if it's really bothering you maybe send the teacher an email explaining what you meant, I bet you explained it well the first time anyway
Anonymous #1
(Original post by parkerrr)
excuse me...what?
You want to "hurt yourself" for getting an answer wrong/ because your teacher misunderstood you?

Just don't think about it...
it happens sometimes
i know it sounds stupid, but i get all frustrated and the only way it kind of comes out is if i punch my leg or something. i feel like the way i said it makes it sound serious, but i didn’t mean it like that. that was stupid wording on my part, sorry. it just makes me feel as if everyone’s watching me and remember and that i should be ashamed of messing up
Anonymous #1
(Original post by neme2131)
Similar stuff happens to me...especially when people expect me to get everything right all the time. Sometimes it helps to just do something you like, like reading. Maybe you could try telling yourself that no one actually cares what happened, or if it's really bothering you maybe send the teacher an email explaining what you meant, I bet you explained it well the first time anyway
thank you, i think it’s a family thing?? i’m not sure. i think it’s cos, i’m my family, if you got something wrong you’d be mocked for it and you’d be the joke of the family for a week.
noodlestopshop
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

so it may sound weird but I had a lesson earlier on Teams and said an answer and whilst it wasn’t wrong it wasn’t 100% right and my teacher misunderstood me. when stuff like this happens i get embarrassed and want to hurt myself. it’s been playing on my mind for like three hours now. any advice on how to forget stuff like this?? whenever it happens it really toys on my mind.
Honestly, try to take your mind off of it, I can strongly reassure you that it's most likely only you who remembers it, everyone else has most likely forgotten and won't mention it to you. Getting an answer wrong is never a bad thing, in fact in my classes quite literally no one ever gives an answer, and I'm usually only one of the only ones communicating (so I usually get a lot of things wrong). You learn from your mistakes and that's why making a mistake isn't a bad thing at all. You may feel embarrassed but I bet you that another student would've thought the exact same thing as you. To distract yourself go do something you enjoy (maybe reading, watching a film.. etc..) I used to be in public school and would always be nervous about answering questions and one thing I realized is that if anyone judges you for your mistakes then that person is going to have one hell of a future (as in if they think making mistakes is wrong then I think they're going to be shocked when they go into the real world where no one is perfect). I hope this made sense and reassured you a bit, I was kind of just typing unconsciously lol, stay safe !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (47)
13.74%
Virtual campus tours/open days (75)
21.93%
Live streaming events (32)
9.36%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (36)
10.53%
A uni comparison tool (79)
23.1%
An in-person event when available (73)
21.35%