aliviapearl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey,

This is probably my pre-decision brain going crazy, but I was wondering what sort of weighting was allocated to the ELAT? I have A*A*A*A achieved A levels, think my interviews were okay(?), they complimented my personal statement and written work so I assume they were good but my ELAT score was awful (40). Would this be seen as a make or break (in my case break lol), or would the rest being good redeem it? Would applying to an oversubscribed College make this worse?

(Tagging in case Peterhouse Admissions has anything to add?)

Thanks for any advice
ashtolga23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s very holistic, and I believe people with a lower score have gotten in if they’re particularly strong.

As far as I know they don’t have a system that’s like “20% importance on the ELAT, 30% interview, 15% PS, etc.”, so the ELAT doesn’t necessarily have a big part to play. This is all based on what I’ve seen on other threads, but it seems to make the most sense.
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there!

There's no one fixed weighting applied to any one part of the application - if there was, we'd publish it. Weaker parts of the application can be balanced out by stronger parts.

All Colleges are oversubscribed in that they get more applicants than there are places, although I guess you mean that the ratio is particularly high at the College you've applied to. This doesn't matter: the Winter Pool is there for a reason. Also, more applicants doesn't necessarily translate into more good applicants. It might do, but it might not - there's no guarantee.

The best thing you can do right now is chill. I know it's easy for me to say, but I have been there (albeit not in the middle of a global pandemic!) but as much as you might not like it, there's nothing you can do about the outcome now and worrying and overthinking isn't going to change anything.
aliviapearl
Rep:
?
(Original post by ashtolga23)
It’s very holistic, and I believe people with a lower score have gotten in if they’re particularly strong.

As far as I know they don’t have a system that’s like “20% importance on the ELAT, 30% interview, 15% PS, etc.”, so the ELAT doesn’t necessarily have a big part to play. This is all based on what I’ve seen on other threads, but it seems to make the most sense.
Okay, thank you (here's hoping they found every other part of my application strong enough)
aliviapearl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
Hi there!

There's no one fixed weighting applied to any one part of the application - if there was, we'd publish it. Weaker parts of the application can be balanced out by stronger parts.

All Colleges are oversubscribed in that they get more applicants than there are places, although I guess you mean that the ratio is particularly high at the College you've applied to. This doesn't matter: the Winter Pool is there for a reason. Also, more applicants doesn't necessarily translate into more good applicants. It might do, but it might not - there's no guarantee.

The best thing you can do right now is chill. I know it's easy for me to say, but I have been there (albeit not in the middle of a global pandemic!) but as much as you might not like it, there's nothing you can do about the outcome now and worrying and overthinking isn't going to change anything.
Hey, thanks for your reply

Pretty much as assumed then (but good to hear it from an official source!), hopefully it all balances out or some generous soul at another College gives me a chance!

You mentioning more applicants vs more good applicants was interesting - I'd never thought about it like that, so thanks for the perspective.

Now if I could just get my brain to shut up for the next few days...
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aliviapearl)
Okay, thank you (here's hoping they found every other part of my application strong enough)
It sounds very possible! I wish you the best of luck.

I’m not sure if this would work with you but sometimes when I’m really worrying I try and think through what I’d do in the worst case scenario. So in this case I imagine what happens if I don’t get into Cambridge, and make sure I have a plan in place. It helps me realise that it’s not the be-all-and-end-all.

If you want a deeper example, this is how my thought process goes with this one. I’d go to another good university, that probably has some pros of its own such as less intense terms, and I’d get the best degree I can there. I could even try out for a postgrad at Oxbridge. Whatever the case, many people get amazing opportunities in employment from non-Oxbridge universities, so I can do the same. Even in the case that I don’t get in, I know that I can be successful. Not being accepted isn’t necessarily a likelihood, but now it means that I know I’ll cope.
aliviapearl
Rep:
?
It sounds very possible! I wish you the best of luck.

I’m not sure if this would work with you but sometimes when I’m really worrying I try and think through what I’d do in the worst case scenario. So in this case I imagine what happens if I don’t get into Cambridge, and make sure I have a plan in place. It helps me realise that it’s not the be-all-and-end-all.

If you want a deeper example, this is how my thought process goes with this one. I’d go to another good university, that probably has some pros of its own such as less intense terms, and I’d get the best degree I can there. I could even try out for a postgrad at Oxbridge. Whatever the case, many people get amazing opportunities in employment from non-Oxbridge universities, so I can do the same. Even in the case that I don’t get in, I know that I can be successful. Not being accepted isn’t necessarily a likelihood, but now it means that I know I’ll cope.
Thank you, you too

I've been trying this, mostly with trying to force myself to like Durham with limited success, but I think now what will be will be and I will focus on whatever options are still on the table by Monday, but I can see how this would be a valuable (and calming!) strategy.

Thank you for being so supportive, and hopefully see you in October
dking2001
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, thanks for your reply

Pretty much as assumed then (but good to hear it from an official source!), hopefully it all balances out or some generous soul at another College gives me a chance!

You mentioning more applicants vs more good applicants was interesting - I'd never thought about it like that, so thanks for the perspective.

Now if I could just get my brain to shut up for the next few days...
If you have a look at the Freedom of Information requests on whatdotheyknow.com you can see that in 2018 offers were made to applicants scoring from 30 upwards in ELAT.
aliviapearl
Rep:
?
(Original post by dking2001)
If you have a look at the Freedom of Information requests on whatdotheyknow.com you can see that in 2018 offers were made to applicants scoring from 30 upwards in ELAT.
Ah, thank you Think I'm going to spend the weekend trawling through these and trying to work out my chances!
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you, you too

I've been trying this, mostly with trying to force myself to like Durham with limited success, but I think now what will be will be and I will focus on whatever options are still on the table by Monday, but I can see how this would be a valuable (and calming!) strategy.

Thank you for being so supportive, and hopefully see you in October
I appreciate that

Ah bless you. Durham is actually my other option too (predictable, eh?). I’ll have my fingers crossed for you on Monday!

It’s no problem at all. Let’s hope!
aliviapearl
Rep:
?
I appreciate that

Ah bless you. Durham is actually my other option too (predictable, eh?). I’ll have my fingers crossed for you on Monday!

It’s no problem at all. Let’s hope!
I'd wager most of my options are predictable lol (Durham, St. Andrews, York, Newcastle), thank you so much

I've even started listening to submiminals for success in my desperation so Monday can't come soon enough! How are you distracting yourself, if at all?
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd wager most of my options are predictable lol (Durham, St. Andrews, York, Newcastle), thank you so much

I've even started listening to submiminals for success in my desperation so Monday can't come soon enough! How are you distracting yourself, if at all?
They all sound good to be fair!

Trying to talk to people about other things, throwing myself into work a lot more than usual, even naps haha! Just trying to make the time go quicker.
aliviapearl
Rep:
?
They all sound good to be fair!

Trying to talk to people about other things, throwing myself into work a lot more than usual, even naps haha! Just trying to make the time go quicker.
Yeah, just none of them are Cam, but we shall see.

Fair enough, they all sound like good strategies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (244)
51.37%
No (231)
48.63%

Watched Threads