Ivyreign
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I think my furlough pay is wrong but I feel bad if I say anything. In the first lockdown in March I got just the normal 80% which then I was 17 and it added to £220 a month I was send my average hours a week and I calculated it at about 240 which I just left as I wasn’t going to argue over £20.

This lockdown we were told are average hours were the same as the first which for me was 13.5 but this time I’m 18 so my hourly rate has gone up to 6.50 which was in September. I calculated this 80% at £280 but my pay this time is just £226. Have I worked this out wrong?

13.5 x 4 weeks =54 x £6.5 = 351 / 100 x 80 ≈ 280

Should i say something or should I just leave it? I mean I’m lucky to be getting anything at the moment and other than car insurance I have no bills so I sort of people bad complaining when there’s people out there really struggling
jack456789
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean they just pretty much copied the same formula for the first lockdown in terms of how much furlough money you received. There is a long list of unnecessary complex guidance for calculating furlough pay. I would say the employer is within its bounds to continue the same format as the first lockdown. In my opinion I would not pull this up with the employer as it may jeopardise your relationship with them. Many companies have continued a similar format of following the same pattern of the first lockdown furlough pay.
Ivyreign
Rep:
?
(Original post by jack456789)
I mean they just pretty much copied the same formula for the first lockdown in terms of how much furlough money you received. There is a long list of unnecessary complex guidance for calculating furlough pay. I would say the employer is within its bounds to continue the same format as the first lockdown. In my opinion I would not pull this up with the employer as it may jeopardise your relationship with them. Many companies have continued a similar format of following the same pattern of the first lockdown furlough pay.
Yes but I’m older so have a different hourly rate so it should be different legally. It’s a very large company I work for too.
Tashax2
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ivyreign)
Yes but I’m older so have a different hourly rate so it should be different legally. It’s a very large company I work for too.
On your payslip what does it say your hourly rate is?
Ivyreign
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tashax2)
On your payslip what does it say your hourly rate is?
£6.50

So I worked out 80% as

13.5 h x 4weeks = 54
54x6.50 =351
351/100x 80 = 280

Is this right?
Ivyreign
Rep:
?
I got an 8 in maths GCSE 2 years ago so I should know this haha
Tashax2
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ivyreign)
£6.50

So I worked out 80% as

13.5 h x 4weeks = 54
54x6.50 =351
351/100x 80 = 280

Is this right?
Yes that is right but maybe they haven’t increased your pay, on your payslip does it actually say 6.5 or your previous wage ?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd bring it up with your manager... the furlough money comes from the government so it's not costing your employer (unless they're fiddling and keeping the difference between what you're entitled to and what they're passing on)
jack456789
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Actually keeping this person on furlough is costing the employer, as they have to pay national insurance employer contributions on all of their employees , which equates to 5% of total employer costs. This is no longer being covered by the government since August. I mean , yea you could bring it up with your manager , im just saying its probably unlikely they would increase it.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jack456789)
Actually keeping this person on furlough is costing the employer, as they have to pay national insurance employer contributions on all of their employees , which equates to 5% of total employer costs. This is no longer being covered by the government since August. I mean , yea you could bring it up with your manager , im just saying its probably unlikely they would increase it.
Not an accountant but why wouldn't employers NI be 0% on low earning under 21 year olds?

Large company - probably just an admin error that they'll want to correct tbh. I know someone this happened to, seems some payroll software doesn't pick it up automatically.

Save it up for something important or give it to the local food bank if you feel guilty.
Ivyreign
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
Not an accountant but why wouldn't employers NI be 0% on low earning under 21 year olds?

Large company - probably just an admin error that they'll want to correct tbh. I know someone this happened to, seems some payroll software doesn't pick it up automatically.

Save it up for something important or give it to the local food bank if you feel guilty.
Yeah just sent an email to the payroll department hopefully they will sort it. Would rather give it to charity than them keep it tbh. Like you say it’s probably just an admin error.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (608)
49.15%
No (629)
50.85%

Watched Threads