Can you do a subject for A Level without meeting the entry requirements?

Watch
riiya25
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I received my trial exam grades and got a 5 in Maths but I really look forward to studying A Level Mathematics. Along with maths I want to do Physics and Computer Science A Levels but all of these subjects require a minimum of 6/7 at Maths. Does this mean I absolutely can't study A Level Mathematics or is there any way I could still study it by proving I can do better?
jae jae
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What’s your predicted grades?
something_orphic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Technically you can get onto A level courses without meeting the entry requirements however these tend to be humanities subjects and you would have to sit an interview. (even for my rubbish college that lets anyone in this is the case).

Maths they are unlikely to let you on if you miss your grade as Maths is a hard subject and if you cannot meet the GCSE requirements, in their eyes, you are unlikely to do well at A level.

You can turn this around now and work hard submitting evidence. Tell your teachers your goals and if you're in year 11 (i assume you are) they may be more lenient because of the whole coronavirus thing. Just work hard and see what happens im afraid.
riiya25
Rep:
?
(Original post by jae jae)
What’s your predicted grades?
Maths = 7, Physics = 9, Computer Science =7
riiya25
Rep:
?
(Original post by something_orphic)
Technically you can get onto A level courses without meeting the entry requirements however these tend to be humanities subjects and you would have to sit an interview. (even for my rubbish college that lets anyone in this is the case).

Maths they are unlikely to let you on if you miss your grade as Maths is a hard subject and if you cannot meet the GCSE requirements, in their eyes, you are unlikely to do well at A level.

You can turn this around now and work hard submitting evidence. Tell your teachers your goals and if you're in year 11 (i assume you are) they may be more lenient because of the whole coronavirus thing. Just work hard and see what happens im afraid.
Okay, thanks. Yeah I'm going to try and do good on the end of unit tests and maybe try and convince them.
something_orphic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by riiya25)
Okay, thanks. Yeah I'm going to try and do good on the end of unit tests and maybe try and convince them.
If you push for it they will give you an interview at least and my friend got to do A level biology with a grade 4 in GCSE biology because she managed to convince them so its definitely possible
jae jae
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by riiya25)
Maths = 7, Physics = 9, Computer Science =7
No problem then!! Your desired school will give you an unconditional offer (which is a good thing ig)
cactussalad
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you could get an offer but you should consider if it would be right for you. If you're getting a 5 now, do you really want to be in a position in yr13 with a C at this point? Especially if you're doing three maths heavy subjects.

That being said, its absolutely possible and if you work hard I'm sure you can get there
riiya25
Rep:
?
(Original post by cactussalad)
you could get an offer but you should consider if it would be right for you. If you're getting a 5 now, do you really want to be in a position in yr13 with a C at this point? Especially if you're doing three maths heavy subjects.

That being said, its absolutely possible and if you work hard I'm sure you can get there
Thanks, I am definitely going to put in more efforts now to convince my teachers. Maths has always been a bit difficult for me so recently I've been spending more time solving past papers etc. Also, after receiving my mock grades I think it has really motivated me to work harder so I think I could do better in A Levels. Also the other two subjects I've decided to do for A Levels absolutely require maths so I think I won't be able to drop it.
riiya25
Rep:
?
(Original post by something_orphic)
If you push for it they will give you an interview at least and my friend got to do A level biology with a grade 4 in GCSE biology because she managed to convince them so its definitely possible
That gives me some hope, thank you. I don't feel as worse now as I did when I saw my mock grades - I thought I'd have no option but to drop Maths for A Levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (374)
32.13%
No (790)
67.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise