livkatie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hey, I'm going to uni in September 2021 to study biology, i love biology.. but i hate maths- and i know my degree (and the fact i want to go into research) will be a field of maths.
I got a 6 (B) in GCSE maths which isn't too bad, but i didn't carry on doing math as an A level (bc i hate it lol), however even in my Biology assessments at school the place i always loose marks is the math questions!
So, i want to get ahead for my degree- i'm thinking of getting some basic GCSE math books to go through (just so i can grasp the basics properly) but i also want to start reading up on the maths in a biology degree. So is there any good maths in biology (specifically degree level) books out there that may save my terrible math skills?
any recommendations would be appreciated
Last edited by livkatie; 1 month ago
melancollege
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are revision guides which cover the Maths skills required for A-Level biology - perhaps something similar exists for degree-level Biology. I had a quick look online and it seems like there is a book called Maths from Scratch for Biologists:

https://www.waterstones.com/book/mat.../9780471498353
livkatie
Rep:
?
Yes, i did see this one but i dont think its specifically aimed at degrees, which is what i'm looking for. Also whether theres one a lot of the biology courses specifically recommend? However if its got good recommendations i will definitely consider- thankyou!
ER141
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In science, you probably wouldn't need a lot of the A-level stuff, but statistics will be really useful (I did a biology degree). It doesn't need to be super complicated, as long as you can apply it to data and results. My recommendation would be to buy a statistics book, there are probably 'statistics for science' books out there that you can get. There will be other things, like working out what concentration your solution is or how many bacteria are on your plate etc., but no trigonometry for example, so a large chunk of a school maths textbook, which is designed to give you a broad base in maths, will be irrelevant. Statistics will stand you in good stead for research as well.

The book mentioned above doesn't need to need to be aimed at degrees, but it looks like it would be useful. The maths you use in your degree will be the maths used in biology, so that book is probably good for that.
livkatie
Rep:
?
Thankyou sm this is so helpful!! I figured it would be predominantly stat tests and stuff bc that’s what’s in A level too, as I’m sure you know, so I’ll deffo look out for a statistic book.Did you use any specific math/ stats books during your course? Or was there any recommended by the course?
ER141
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by livkatie)
Thankyou sm this is so helpful!! I figured it would be predominantly stat tests and stuff bc that’s what’s in A level too, as I’m sure you know, so I’ll deffo look out for a statistic book.Did you use any specific math/ stats books during your course? Or was there any recommended by the course?
I can't remember if any were recommended I'm afraid. I personally didn't buy any maths books because I was mostly comfortable with it and we had a few lectures on some of the stats we might need.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (598)
49.14%
No (619)
50.86%

Watched Threads