Nehal Agnihotri
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am a Chartered Accountant from India. I am interested in either Msc Accountancy or Finance related courses in the UK. I have browsed through the study modules on various University websites but still not sure which courses will give me a value addition. In a nutshell which course should i choose for adding value to my CA profession?
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally, if I was a chartered accountant, I don't see the point in doing a MSc in Accounting. The chartered accounting qualification is a higher qualification than an MSc in Accounting, and you won't learn anything new. In other words, you can more or less become a lecturer at a university teaching accounting.

The chartered accounting qualification you have should be more than enough to get you into most accounting jobs (provided it's a recognised qualification in the UK, and I am guessing that's more than likely).

An MSc Finance is OK if you want to study finance and go into research in the subject. However, I don't see it being necessary for finance work.

If you want, you can consider doing a CTA if you're looking to study tax (it's the highest qualification for tax in the UK). For auditing, you might want consult your accounting body, since the training and qualifications might be different.

If you want to go into research, you might consider looking to do a doctorate, but even then I don't think it's all that necessary. You might want to consult with existing researchers in accounting or business schools first though.
Nehal Agnihotri
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by MindMax2000)
Personally, if I was a chartered accountant, I don't see the point in doing a MSc in Accounting. The chartered accounting qualification is a higher qualification than an MSc in Accounting, and you won't learn anything new. In other words, you can more or less become a lecturer at a university teaching accounting.

The chartered accounting qualification you have should be more than enough to get you into most accounting jobs (provided it's a recognised qualification in the UK, and I am guessing that's more than likely).

An MSc Finance is OK if you want to study finance and go into research in the subject. However, I don't see it being necessary for finance work.

If you want, you can consider doing a CTA if you're looking to study tax (it's the highest qualification for tax in the UK). For auditing, you might want consult your accounting body, since the training and qualifications might be different.

If you want to go into research, you might consider looking to do a doctorate, but even then I don't think it's all that necessary. You might want to consult with existing researchers in accounting or business schools first though.
Thanks for your reply. I agree that MSc in Accounting or Finance might not be very helpful for me as I've studied most of it during CA. I am not interested in Research or Teaching yet.

I hadn't considered CTA so that's a good option if I go ahead with Taxation as my field of interest. I'll look into it. Thanks once again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (462)
51.45%
No (436)
48.55%

Watched Threads