A Level Physics Capacitance question

Watch
Rexicon7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
The Earth's magnetic field at a certain position on the Earth's surface has a horizontal component of 18 micro T due north and a downwards vertical component of 55 micro T. Calculate:

a the magnitude of the Earth's magnetic field at this position,

b the magnitude and direction of the force on a vertical wire of length 0.80 m carrying a current of 4.5 A downwards.

I'm stuck on part b currently. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(For anybody who looks at this thread for part a, you can find the magnitude of the magnetic field strength by using Pythagoras's theorem on the components of the field, as they are perpendicular to each other, so sqrt[(18x10^-6)^2 + (55x10^-6)^2])
phys981
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Do you know the equation for calculating the force on a current carrying conductor in a magnetic field? Because if you do, all that's left is to decide which numbers to put into it.....
Rexicon7
Rep:
?
(Original post by phys981)
Do you know the equation for calculating the force on a current carrying conductor in a magnetic field? Because if you do, all that's left is to decide which numbers to put into it.....
Yeah, I tried using F = BIL using the magnitude of the magnetic field calculated in part a) but that gives: F = 5.8x10^-5 * 4.5 * 0.80 = 2.1x10^-4 N. The answer in the back of the text book is 6.5x10^-3 N due East, so I'm either applying the equation wrong or missing the point of the question entirely.
phys981
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Aha! But which bit of the magnetic fields should you be considering here? Or rather, which component? And why?
Rexicon7
Rep:
?
Ok, I've done it now. You just need to use the horizontal component of the force, 18x10^-6, and substitute that into F=BIL.
phys981
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed