The Student Room Group

Will students have an opportunity to sit exams in October 2021?

Will there be an opportunity for students to sit any A level exams come October 2021?
Original post by Anonware
Will there be an opportunity for students to sit any A level exams come October 2021?

I got given teacher grades for my A Levels in August 2020 and then did the October 2020 exams. From my understanding the whole point of there being exams in October 2020 was due to how close to exams we were when lockdown happened and exams were cancelled (exams were cancelled in March last year). As a result of this we didn't have any warning that there would be no exams while still attending school, so, although they tried their best, not all teacher assessments could be accurate. Due to them being cancelled so much earlier this year, and with schools remaining open online and also with there being talk about 'other assessments' (like online tests and such rather than normal A Level exams) and ways to decide grades between now and the exams, I personally don't think there will be any October 2021 sittings. Of course, it's only Jan and the government haven't confirmed or denied anything yet but I wouldn't set your heart on it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by anonymous#192
I got given teacher grades for my A Levels in August 2020 and then did the October 2020 exams. From my understanding the whole point of there being exams in October 2020 was due to how close to exams we were when lockdown happened and exams were cancelled (exams were cancelled in March last year). As a result of this we didn't have any warning that there would be no exams while still attending school, so, although they tried their best, not all teacher assessments could be accurate. Due to them being cancelled so much earlier this year, and with schools remaining open online and also with there being talk about 'other assessments' (like online tests and such rather than normal A Level exams) and ways to decide grades between now and the exams, I personally don't think there will be any October 2021 sittings. Of course, it's only Jan and the government haven't confirmed or denied anything yet but I wouldn't set your heart on it.

Ok, thanks for your advice. This really matters to me since I’m self studying maths & physics completely on my own so I have no way of getting a predicted or assessed grade. It’s essential for my physics & computer science course at uni so if I don’t have a chance to sit exams sometime before the next ucas deadline then I’ll have to wait an extra year before going to university. So 2 whole years, since of course take exams in 2022 summer then apply 2023. Damn ngl this response has increased my anxiety but eh. Is this an official source or are these just from what you’ve gathered.
Original post by Anonware
Ok, thanks for your advice. This really matters to me since I’m self studying maths & physics completely on my own so I have no way of getting a predicted or assessed grade. It’s essential for my physics & computer science course at uni so if I don’t have a chance to sit exams sometime before the next ucas deadline then I’ll have to wait an extra year before going to university. So 2 whole years, since of course take exams in 2022 summer then apply 2023. Damn ngl this response has increased my anxiety but eh. Is this an official source or are these just from what you’ve gathered.

No its nothing official, just my opinion so please don't get too anxious as I'm not going off any official sources or anything. Have you considered asking local schools/the school you did your GCSEs at if you would be able to sit mock exams with other Y13s at the school? Or maybe even ask whatever centre you were planning on taking your exams at if they would be willing to do a mock test for you with papers from 2019 which I don't think have been released to the general public. That could be a way of getting some form of grades which could be used to justify a final grade. Or even maybe consider trying to get into a sixth form for the last few months of Y13 so you would be able to take part in whatever they decide to do in order to show proof of grades (tests etc)? It might also be worth trying to get into contact with the Department for Education and explaining your circumstances and asking what they can suggest?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending