vetapp2020LNRS
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'd like to do some reading before September so was wondering what textbooks do people buy generally on the course so I can get an idea of what might be worth investing in. Will likely be going to either Liverpool or RVC.
Littleemma98
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by vetapp2020LNRS)
I'd like to do some reading before September so was wondering what textbooks do people buy generally on the course so I can get an idea of what might be worth investing in. Will likely be going to either Liverpool or RVC.
Anatomy & pyshiology is good one
BSAVA textbook of veterinary nursing is another good one.

There's loads of different ones as it depends on which area you doing but ones I said above are two best ones to start with.

If possible try to get most updated book version available as they generally update books every 2 years at least and they will see you through your course.
Plus try the university library as may be able to borrow them ok
There might be PDF versions available to.
Look on likes of eBay and Amazon for them first to gauge prices from there as shop prices generally full price okay .

From a 2020 qualified vet nurse x
Good luck with the course as you'll enjoy it ok
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Konig: Anatomy of Domestic Mammals

You can pick up a copy on vet secondhand groups or ebay without too much expense - and this book is worth its weight in gold.
The university library will VERY likely have them (definitely if you go to Liverpool)

Covers the anatomy of the dog which is where you will start your anatomy but also that of the horse, cows, pigs etc. Very useful sections on comparative anatomy also which is a surprisingly big part of the course.

To me this is the only vet book needed as a pre-clinical student.
VetStudent10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Honestly I would say none. I wouldn’t fork out on textbooks as the libraries have most of them (Liverpool do!). Books are generally very expensive so I wouldn’t really invest in them, also once you’re at vet school your time will be very full, so take some time off. Everything’s covered in first year so everyone is on the same page! That being said, I’ve got the Student Veterinary Dictionary, which was recommended by one of our lecturers, I got it as I have pretty much zero farming background so it’s super helpful for looking up terms I don’t understand and it’s a pretty cheap book second hand! The other one is the anatomy colouring book, I like it, but I find I don’t have the time to colour everything so it’s not helped a whole lot but it’s a nice idea! Also heard dissection of the dog is a good one but it’s VERY expensive so I’m still trying to find a second hand one Also thanks TheWannabeFarmer I’ll check out that book, I’m definitely struggling with all the anatomy!
Horsesarethebest
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Dissection of the dog is really good and older versions can be picked up cheaply especially if you look for them online or ask older students. You won’t lose anything by having an older version as anatomy hasn’t changed much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (247)
51.14%
No (236)
48.86%

Watched Threads