What's wrong with Corbyn?

Watch
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Seems like a nice guy, why do people hate him so much?
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
All heart, no brain.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's more a question of what is right with him.
I can't even come up with four things about him that could be described as "nice".
Last edited by londonmyst; 1 month ago
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
All heart, no brain.
Are you saying his heart is in the right place but he got some unfortunate brain deficiency?
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you saying his heart is in the right place but he got some unfortunate brain deficiency?
IMO, he doesn't think things through, for whatever reason. He does appear to care though.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 month ago
You make it sound as if it's a general concensus that he's hated - he's not.

Which people hate him? The mainstream media do. Tories do. The right-wingers of the Labour party do.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)

Which people hate him? The mainstream media do. Tories do. The right-wingers of the Labour party do.
Lol. That's covered half the country then.

Putin loves him at least.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)

Well people keep saying he's some sort of terrorist sympathiser and hates jews or whatever, but I've not really heard him outright declare this and if anything he tries to oppose these accusations, so not sure. What do you think of him?
Linaaa256
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I believe he was a genuine guy and embodied Labour ideals which I can not say for the leadership now. However I do admit he did not have the best leadership qualities he still is a great politician who stands up for what he believes in
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
Lol. That's covered half the country then.
Sad, but true.

Well people keep saying he's some sort of terrorist sympathiser and hates jews or whatever, but I've not really heard him outright declare this and if anything he tries to oppose these accusations, so not sure. What do you think of him?
There's plenty of people who will parrot what the mainstream newspapers say, without bothering to investigate. What passes for "news" in this country can best be described as bilge water, at times.

The man has a lot of integrity and devoted his life to fighting the very things he's been accused of. His failing, IMO, is in not finding a way to deal with the slander and lies and amount of **** that was thrown at him in the media.

To quote Malcolm X, “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”

Not that I'm saying he's oppressed, but the sentiment of these words rings true.
Last edited by ghostwalker; 1 month ago
SoonToBeExpat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't know if I hate him. I certainly couldn't vote for him - he didn't come across as a stable leader with the ability to keep the country together. Furthermore he hugely split his party internally and was too wrapped up in controversy. Whether the accusations were true or not isn't all that relevant - he was simply not fit enough to govern. I personally believe his proposals and economic policy was unsustainable and undeliverable but then again, that was before Covid came along.... Still, had he won the general election I don't believe he would of done a better job of managing the crisis that we are currently in.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Corbyn is the teen who never grew up.

He lives in a fantasy world in which all the worlds ills are the fault of the capitalist west and one in which if we only withdrew to mount moral high ground everything would be peaceful and great because humans left to their own devices are fundamentally good.

This in turn means that he has a habit of supporting terrorists like the IRA and Hamas even if he doesn't condone violence himself. It makes him sympathetic to the likes of Russia and Iran.
Last edited by Rakas21; 1 month ago
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Corbyn is the teen who never grew up.

He lives in a fantasy world in which all the worlds ills are the fault of the capitalist west and one in which if we only withdrew to mount moral high ground everything would be peaceful and great because humans left to their own devices are fundamentally good.

This in turn means that he has a habit of supporting terrorists like the IRA and Hamas even if he doesn't condone violence himself. It makes him sympathetic to the likes of Russia and Iran.
PRSOM
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
All heart, no brain.
This!

He also has some rather eccentric and whacky ideas. But now we have seen Boris in action, I am not really sure if we would have faired any worse under Corbyn to be honest.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well he literally made it his policy to go after middle England, i see no reason to respect a man who declares war on me for no particular reason :lol:
The one thing i will give him though is he is true to his convictions, unlike most politicians.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Well he literally made it his policy to go after middle England, i see no reason to respect a man who declares war on me for no particular reason :lol:
The one thing i will give him though is he is true to his convictions, unlike most politicians.
Did he? Really?
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Did he? Really?
His entire manifesto was taking aim at the supposed privileged middle classes from taxes to schooling and beyond :lol: Deeply ironic considering his well heeled background but hey ho, an academic point now.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
His entire manifesto was taking aim at the supposed privileged middle classes from taxes to schooling and beyond :lol: Deeply ironic considering his well heeled background but hey ho, an academic point now.
Or was it simply about wealth distribution, I saw the policies hitting the upper classes hardest, basically the people with the most resilience to cope with it and still maintain a luxurious life.

What's ironic about a wealthy person wishing to make society a fairer place?
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Or was it simply about wealth distribution, I saw the policies hitting the upper classes hardest, basically the people with the most resilience to cope with it and still maintain a luxurious life.

What's ironic about a wealthy person wishing to make society a fairer place?
Really? I took the opposite view. The wealthy are the ones who can happily avoid every single one of his policies. It's the middle class who gets it in the neck. To put it another way, why should someone on $60,000pa (not exactly a fortune by any stretch of the imagination) have to pay disproportionately for his political projects? As noted, the wealthiest can easily skip out on this.
Then again, we shouldnt ignore the fact that about doesnt really care about the poor or the working classes anymore. Most evidenced by the fact most of its most prolific gum flappers tend to be yuppies and, ironically enough, the children of the middle classes. Outside of the desire to cut the middle down to size, the rest of his policies all seemed aimed squarely at eviscerating the cultural cornerstones of Britain - very popular among the university crowd, less so among the population of the 'red wall' and a not insignificant reason Labour was, not to put too fine a point on it, ***** slapped by them in the election, brexit not withstanding.

I always found it quite droll seeing these young adults, who have all gone to private school and university, preaching about the needs of the working poor on which they know very little about though :lol:. Their preaching usually going along the lines of advocating for trans rights, equality in the work place etc. etc. All laudable aims to be sure, fairly immaterial to people working hand to mouth though.

What's not ironic about someone from a wealthy background (who is still wealthy) and who benefitted from this background making it his raison d'etre to clobber those from the same background?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Really? I took the opposite view. The wealthy are the ones who can happily avoid every single one of his policies. It's the middle class who gets it in the neck. To put it another way, why should someone on $60,000pa (not exactly a fortune by any stretch of the imagination) have to pay disproportionately for his political projects? As noted, the wealthiest can easily skip out on this.
Then again, we shouldnt ignore the fact that about doesnt really care about the poor or the working classes anymore. Most evidenced by the fact most of its most prolific gum flappers tend to be yuppies and, ironically enough, the children of the middle classes. Outside of the desire to cut the middle down to size, the rest of his policies all seemed aimed squarely at eviscerating the cultural cornerstones of Britain - very popular among the university crowd, less so among the population of the 'red wall' and a not insignificant reason Labour was, not to put too fine a point on it, ***** slapped by them in the election, brexit not withstanding.

I always found it quite droll seeing these young adults, who have all gone to private school and university, preaching about the needs of the working poor on which they know very little about though :lol:. Their preaching usually going along the lines of advocating for trans rights, equality in the work place etc. etc. All laudable aims to be sure, fairly immaterial to people working hand to mouth though.

What's not ironic about someone from a wealthy background (who is still wealthy) and who benefitted from this background making it his raison d'etre to clobber those from the same background?
One has to remember that in the mind of the Islington set there is the poor and then the deserving poor who know their place and listen to their betters.

The poor who don't listen are barbarians who are racist transphobes and must be educated.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (100)
22.99%
Live streaming events (39)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (100)
22.99%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.3%