Should I do English or Philosophy for A-Levels?

Watch
hinatas_extra2cm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So basically I'm in the process of applying for sixth form/college, and I have picked Art and drama so far as I'm a more creative leaning person. I have a great interest in creative arts and such but I still need to pick another subject.

I was thinking between English Lit+Lang and Philosophy. I have a hobby of writing and have considered writing as a job before, so English may be a good choice, but I also like philosophy but I feel like I might regret it as I could easily buy a book and learn about philosophers myself. Does anyone have any advice?
kongDerf
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i currently do english lit&lang for a level and it's a lot easier in comparison to english lit. i really do enjoy the subject, and it wasn't my original choice so i'm glad i made the best mistake haha
also, although people may view it as 'useless' (which i disagree with), english opens many doors as it is a core subject. i'm planning to do design for uni and even though it has no correlation to english, analytical skills are involved and i haven't been rejected to any of my offers so far (:
i would recommend taking english, but that's my own personal preference - best of luck
hinatas_extra2cm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by kongDerf)
i currently do english lit&lang for a level and it's a lot easier in comparison to english lit. i really do enjoy the subject, and it wasn't my original choice so i'm glad i made the best mistake haha
also, although people may view it as 'useless' (which i disagree with), english opens many doors as it is a core subject. i'm planning to do design for uni and even though it has no correlation to english, analytical skills are involved and i haven't been rejected to any of my offers so far (:
i would recommend taking english, but that's my own personal preference - best of luck
yeah I was thinking that because it's a core subject it would be better in terms of opportunities, thanks for the advice!
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hinatas_extra2cm)
yeah I was thinking that because it's a core subject it would be better in terms of opportunities, thanks for the advice!
Yeah, as you say English is a core subject. You can use it to go into a variety of things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (44)
23.04%
Unhappy (54)
28.27%
Conflicted (93)
48.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed