Birmingham City University vs. Southampton University for Adult Nursing MSc./PGDip??

Watch
precious_22
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I need help choosing which university to apply to. I am looking to apply for a postgraduate course in Adult Nursing. Which university is better for nursing and which of the two cities is good for students (accommodation wise and other living costs, i don’t care about nightlife). I’m not from the U.K. so I really don’t know and I can’t visit either of the cities atm 😕
Last edited by precious_22; 4 weeks ago
dylgeo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Definitely Southampton. One of the world's top uni's, and much more regarded in a good light.
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by precious_22)
Hi, I need help choosing which university to apply to. I am looking to apply for a postgraduate course in Adult Nursing. Which university is better for nursing and which of the two cities is good for students (accommodation wise and other living costs, i don’t care about nightlife). I’m not from the U.K. so I really don’t know and I can’t visit either of the cities atm 😕
Hi,

I don't study nursing but hopefully I can weigh in to help you find out what Southampton is like.
Southampton is a smaller city than Birmingham, so especially if you're coming from outside the UK, this will probably make it less intimidating, as well as easier to meet people, as there are students everywhere round the city. Living cost wise, Southampton will probably also be cheaper than Birmingham which is a plus! Also as places in Southampton are closer, you probably won't have to pay as much for travel. The university has it's own section of the hospital, with lecture halls so you start going to the hospital very early on in your degree, even if it is just for lectures, which I've heard from my medicine/nursing friends is really nice. (I can't confirm if this is the case for Birmingham City University or not.
I'd really recommend at looking at the university, and student union websites for both universities, to see if they have any societies you might want to join, as well as to help you get a feel for the university. I'll link the student union website, and the university websites for adult nursing here:
Southampton University Website
Southampton Student Union
Birmingham City University Website
Birmingham City University Student Union
Hope this has helped, and good luck with your applications!
If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
Abi (3rd year Electrical and Electronic Engineering student)
Emily_B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dylgeo)
Definitely Southampton. One of the world's top uni's, and much more regarded in a good light.
In nursing, this is irrelevant. Having proof of having passed a nursing degree, being registered with the NMC, and interviewing well enough are what matters to obtaining a nursing job.
precious_22
Rep:
?
(Original post by dylgeo)

Okay thank you for replying and sharing your opinion!
precious_22
Rep:
?
(Original post by Uni of Southampton Students)
Hi,

I don't study nursing but hopefully I can weigh in to help you find out what Southampton is like.
Southampton is a smaller city than Birmingham, so especially if you're coming from outside the UK, this will probably make it less intimidating, as well as easier to meet people, as there are students everywhere round the city. Living cost wise, Southampton will probably also be cheaper than Birmingham which is a plus! Also as places in Southampton are closer, you probably won't have to pay as much for travel. The university has it's own section of the hospital, with lecture halls so you start going to the hospital very early on in your degree, even if it is just for lectures, which I've heard from my medicine/nursing friends is really nice. (I can't confirm if this is the case for Birmingham City University or not.
I'd really recommend at looking at the university, and student union websites for both universities, to see if they have any societies you might want to join, as well as to help you get a feel for the university. I'll link the student union website, and the university websites for adult nursing here:
Southampton University Website
Southampton Student Union
Birmingham City University Website
Birmingham City University Student Union
Hope this has helped, and good luck with your applications!
If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
Abi (3rd year Electrical and Electronic Engineering student)

Hi Abi, thank you for your detailed reply! I really appreciate it. I will definitely have a look at the links you put there and if I have more questions I’ll put them here! 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (373)
32.07%
No (790)
67.93%

Watched Threads