PeacefulAngel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello,

I would love to work for the police but unfortunately I have a caution which I received while mentally unwell. Will this stop me from joining the police?
bits.of.bio
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by PeacefulAngel)
Hello,

I would love to work for the police but unfortunately I have a caution which I received while mentally unwell. Will this stop me from joining the police?
Hi - I think this might depend on what the caution was for. This comes from the code of conduct for police vetting:
Public confidence may be affected if an officer has a previous conviction or caution, therefore there is a rebuttable presumption that a person will not be suitable for appointment as a police officer or special constable if they have a previous conviction or caution for a criminal offence, especially if it relates to dishonest or corrupt practices, or violence. Factors that may weigh against this presumption being applied in individual cases include the nature and severity of the offence, the person’s age at the time they committed the offence, and the length of time since the offence was committed. Each case must be considered on its own merits including both the individual’s role in the offence and the nature of the conviction or caution. This presumption applies to police staff roles with designated powers or roles where there is a likelihood of being in the evidential chain.

So a minor caution may be permissible if you can explain that your situation has changed etc. But if it was something bad there may be an issue. I imagine your best option would be to apply and ensure they have all the available information etc. and see what they say.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (59)
4.63%
Uncertainty around my education (195)
15.29%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (141)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (181)
14.2%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (57)
4.47%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (72)
5.65%
Loneliness (112)
8.78%
Financial worries (45)
3.53%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (58)
4.55%
Exposure to negative news/social media (58)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (68)
5.33%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (112)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (117)
9.18%

Watched Threads