The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

why are people so mean to males on the internet

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SpockAndRand
Yep because intentions matter. Women do not intent to end their lives. You can attempt suicide for lots of reasons other than really wanting to kill yourself.

Really? I thought attempting to kill yourself would mean you want to kill yourself
( I realise this sounds sarcastic but I’m genuinely curious)
Like slut shaming, it's misogynistic because it's a double standard and nobody can rationally explain what's the ''proper'' number of people to have slept with. Nowadays, very few if any guys expect women to be virgins before marriage (and vice versa), usually those are the ultra religious who hold loads of other um unconventional views (to put it politely). So really most people who slut shame so are either hypocritical (they do it too but shame others solely because of their sex), irrational (don't really realise that there is no ''proper'' number of people to have slept with for a girl not to be a ''slut'', it's quite arbitrary and made up) or very religious.

But the view that men who express emotion are weak and inferior is also widespread and misandrist. That is a genuine problem, men have very high suicide rates in part for this reason. It's a double standard as well, very similar to slut shaming in another form obviously.

Yeah, I know that both genders have it extremely hard because of these certain stereotypes and as a woman it does hurt me to see a lot of young girls being called such derogatory remarks.
However, at the same time, it seems like men are not getting enough attention and appreciation and are instead receiving hate by people who have had some bad experiences with men, so it is unfair to put them all into the same category.
Feminism is supposed to be a movement to support gender equality and not hate on a specific gender as this defeats the entire purpose of equality and makes all feminists (even genuine ones) look bad.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Really? I thought attempting to kill yourself would mean you want to kill yourself
( I realise this sounds sarcastic but I’m genuinely curious)

It can even be accidental. You might self-harm and not intend to kill yourself but end up in a hospital.
It can even be accidental. You might self-harm and not intend to kill yourself but end up in a hospital.

I see but then surely the intent wouldn’t be to kill oneself, it would be self harm?

I don't remember anymore very well, but I think the difference in men and women was actually explained with how they attempt suicide. Men use more violent/effective means, like firearms, or jumping off buildings. Women use sleeping pills instead, for example.
Original post by NonIndigenous
Yep, I find it mildly provocative when I'm hanging out with someone who claims they are a "feminist", yet expect me to foot the bill, and say they want women to get paid the same as men, but want a boyfriend who earns more than they do.

It's... nuts.

First of all I don't like footing others' bills. I like shared responsibility as a opening move. And I don't like paying someone else for their time in these contexts, or whatever the conventional excuses are for these arrangements. I understand the cultural background perfectly well, I just don't like it used as an excuse to get free meals by "serial-daters" who sometimes even make a career out of this.

Exactly. It feels like women's social obligation to do things for men has reduced, but the reverse is lagging behind.
Original post by strawberrynose
its really not simple as that. men have oppressed women for centuries which has lead to so much resentment and pain. misogyny is all around us, and perhaps you have had the privilege to not feel it, but it seriously damages peoples life chances and their social lives too in all aspects. its incredibly ridiculous to tell people to just be nice when there is so much generational trauma linked to the way men are allowed to treat women. it doesn't help anything that is true. but then again, we should allow women to express their hatred for men and the patriarchy and listen to what they have to say, because that hatred stems from one common place, which is the lack of equality for men and women. women don't owe men kindness as a whole when the system of patriarchy designed by men has set them back hundreds of years behind men. also, there are far more misogynistic jokes on the internet about women than men and maybe you havent been on it long enough to realise the thousands of online communities where jokes against women are normalised

No, we should address irrational blanket hatred for men. You can empathise with how the hatred came about, but as an entirely irrational thought (generalising half the population) we should work through it. The world can do without unnecessary animosity.

"Women don't owe men kindness" is laughable - why do you feel the need to be bitter towards a random person who has done nothing to you?
(edited 3 years ago)
I see but then surely the intent wouldn’t be to kill oneself, it would be self harm?

If it's habitual self-harm, it's not included in the stats (usually, and in the study linked, it's not). But it doesn't have to be self-harm, no. If I cut my veins once because I think that kind of pain will help alleviate my mental distress, and this results in losing consciousness but I'm somehow transported to a hospital (someone found you early, etc) and saved, that counts as a suicide attempt absolutely.
Men and women are equal under the law in your country, but not in many others around the world, and in the western world there is also the issues of gender pay gap, rape culture ect... I think that until all women, including those in developing countries have equal right we can’t stop fighting for them
Reply 29
People attempting to justify misandry are just as bad as any misogynist. It’s worrying that people have to state that ‘men’ are not a monolith and do not behave and share ideas as one being, we’re individuals deserving of the same respect. I don’t care if somebody has trauma related to gender-based violence, that isn’t an excuse to treat a group of people badly just because you had an unfortunate experience with an individual who just so happened to share a common characteristic with said group. The discussion so far on this thread has been appalling.
Original post by _gcx
No, we should address irrational blanket hatred for men. The world can do without unnecessary animosity.

"Women don't owe men kindness" is laughable - why do you feel the need to be bitter towards a random person who has done nothing to you?

Literally! Some people are trying to justify the irrational hate for men without even meeting most of the male population :shifty:
Original post by _gcx
No, we should address irrational blanket hatred for men. The world can do without unnecessary animosity.

Women don’t own men kindness and men don’t own women kindness but we owe each other respect. Men are the overwhelmingly preferred gender for things like science based jobs and manual labour. They are god know how many more times likes to be a CEO. Americas only just had their first female Vice President fgs
Original post by LovelyMrFox
This kind of idea that women and men should be pitted against each other is the reason the world is never going to get anywhere, one will always be oppressed in a world with that type of mentality. Sexism goes both ways.

Precisely, this us vs them mentality, and pigeonholing of people based off very broad characteristics is unfortunately only seen as toxic when directed towards certain groups. Don't know why blanket condemnation of that kind of thinking is so difficult.
Men's Liberation. Not sure how popular it is off-web.
Equality in the law does not mean social equality, which is why discourse surrounding the roles of men and women in society (Gender Studies) still exists today.
Women don’t own men kindness and men don’t own women kindness but we owe each other respect.

Yeah I agree but "women don’t owe men kindness" alone would usually read to me like "baseless resentment of you is ok because other men have done xyz", and that poster seemed to be basically saying that.
Reply 35
I'm sorry but this is blaming victims for not being properly rational advocates of their cause.

Yes some feminists go too far in irrational ways due to their anger, but we still don't have equality and so their anger is justified. It's such a bad look to complain about that when the real root social problem still exists.

I do understand though if you aren't thinking about it like this, some feminists can just seem completely crazy and irrationally angry, and many of them are, but let's complain about the ultimate cause of this problem not just this symptom of it.
It’s so sad that some people get so upset that they choose to end their lives, it surely points to a failure in our society
Original post by Joe312
I'm sorry but this is blaming victims for not being properly rational advocates of their cause.

Yes some feminists go too far in irrational ways due to their anger, but we still don't have equality and so their anger is justified. It's such a bad look to complain about that when the real root social problem still exists.

I do understand though if you aren't thinking about it like this, some feminists can just seem completely crazy and irrationally angry, and many of them are, but let's complain about the ultimate cause of this problem not just this symptom of it.

We can still, and should, condemn the way they express this anger. Maybe condemn is a strong word, but what is sometimes said is far too strong, and shouldn't really ever be considered "ok".
Original post by _gcx
Yeah I agree but "women don’t owe men kindness" alone would usually read to me like "baseless resentment of you is ok because other men have done xyz", and that poster seemed to be basically saying that.

I dunno I think it’s because as women we are conditioned from a young age, to grow up and marry a nice man, or smile as you pass a man on the street, be polite no matter how much danger you put yourself in. I beilive it’s the expectation that women must be polite and presentable at all times that this saying stems from
Reply 39
Original post by _gcx
We can still, and should, condemn the way they express this anger. Maybe condemn is a strong word, but what is sometimes said is far too strong, and shouldn't really ever be considered "ok".

I agree it's not ok, but given that they are victims and that their anger is caused by a deeper more serious social problem of inequality, arguably it just reveals bad priorities to spend time criticising the way they express their grievances over their actual victimisation. It's just a bad look, no?

Latest

Trending

Trending