Redbricks and their relevancy to post-grad career prospects

Watch
turnrr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
For post-grads, how often does being russell group or redbrick help you with employment, connections etc. I’m currently at a mid-tier uni and I’m doing well, I chose it because I was too late to apply for my cities redbrick. I’m thinking about transferring for second year, to that redbrick. Is this not really too big of a deal, I value teaching calibre but I’d mostly be transferring for the post-grad prospects, is this a good idea? Thanks!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What sort of employment are you interested in?
Have you spoken to any potential employers about how they recruit staff?
StarLinyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by turnrr)
For post-grads, how often does being russell group or redbrick help you with employment, connections etc. I’m currently at a mid-tier uni and I’m doing well, I chose it because I was too late to apply for my cities redbrick. I’m thinking about transferring for second year, to that redbrick. Is this not really too big of a deal, I value teaching calibre but I’d mostly be transferring for the post-grad prospects, is this a good idea? Thanks!
It is a slight advantage for postgraduate applications, but nothing more. Much more important is the grade you achieve, and the skills and knowledge you bring from your course. Academic prestige isn't as important within academia, so long as you have excelled where ever you have been.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (392)
32.24%
No (824)
67.76%

Watched Threads