What subjects do Oxbridge like the most ?

Watch
TF08060728
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm a year 10 student and I'm preparing to apply for a private school so I need to start thinking about what subjects to choose earlier thabk others. I'm considering LSE UCL Oxbridge etc for a Law course. I was wondering what subject do these Universities like the most. My maths isn't the best for an A+ in A level. I'm still on a 6- and hope to get to a 7 at least so I'm not considering any maths related including science which include maths too. I'm considering English Language, Economics (I wanted Business but people say it's not that respected but it does include maths, do you think I can cope with it? ) and Geography. I have decided on Geography for sure but is Economics recommended since Law in Oxbridge is really competitive so I need a really respected subject. I would go for French but I would rather do that in my own time (I am Chinese so I am teaching myself Chinese because I wasn't born in a Chinese speaking environment , I might take HSK (L6 is highest Manderin Lnag qualification) in my own time if that helps for my university application ). I know Eng Lit is good but I am really not a fan of reading these 19th cent text or poems. I can't take history because I didn't learn it in secondary school so if I apply for it is A level lowers my chance of getting in the school I chose.

Are there any better replacements instead of eng lang and economics ?
Last edited by TF08060728; 1 month ago
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TF08060728)
Hi, I'm a year 10 student and I'm preparing to apply for a private school so I need to start thinking about what subjects to choose earlier thabk others. I'm considering LSE UCL Oxbridge etc for a Law course. I was wondering what subject do these Universities like the most. My maths isn't the best for an A+ in A level. I'm still on a 6- and hope to get to a 7 at least so I'm not considering any maths related including science which include maths too. I'm considering English Language, Economics (I wanted Business but people say it's not that respected but it does include maths, do you think I can cope with it? ) and Geography. I have decided on Geography for sure but is Economics recommended since Law in Oxbridge is really competitive so I need a really respected subject. I would go for French but I would rather do that in my own time (I am Chinese so I am teaching myself Chinese because I wasn't born in a Chinese speaking environment , I might take HSK (L6 is highest Manderin Lnag qualification) in my own time if that helps for my university application ). I know Eng Lit is good but I am really not a fan of reading these 19th cent text or poems. I can't take history because I didn't learn it in secondary school so if I apply for it is A level lowers my chance of getting in the school I chose.

Are there any better replacements instead of eng lang and economics ?
The subjects really don't matter, except that an essay subject is beneficial, which you already have covered with Geography. Your grades (and LNAT) are far more important, so choose what you enjoy. Good luck.
TF08060728
Rep:
?
Thanks I have taken that into account. The thing is it seems like Oxbridge like harder A levels.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks I have taken that into account. The thing is it seems like Oxbridge like harder A levels.
Nope. Old misconception. English Lang, Economics and Geography = 100% perfect for any UK universities for Law. Studying 'harder' subjects won't seem more impressive nor will it grant you extra points on your application.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above, provided they are traditionally academic subjects (i.e. not vocational, applied, or primarily coursework based) there isn't really any preference outside of specific course entry criteria. All of the subjects under consideration by you are traditionally academic so you're fine, provided you are confident you can do well in them, and find them interesting and enjoyable enough to sustain your motivation over the A-level course.
TF08060728
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
As above, provided they are traditionally academic subjects (i.e. not vocational, applied, or primarily coursework based) there isn't really any preference outside of specific course entry criteria. All of the subjects under consideration by you are traditionally academic so you're fine, provided you are confident you can do well in them, and find them interesting and enjoyable enough to sustain your motivation over the A-level course.
Thanks! What are my chances if I swap economics with business. Which subject do you think would be better ?
TF08060728
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
Nope. Old misconception. English Lang, Economics and Geography = 100% perfect for any UK universities for Law. Studying 'harder' subjects won't seem more impressive nor will it grant you extra points on your application.
Could I possibly change economics with business ? I prefer business but I don't mind economics as long as I dont need more maths but it entirely depends which ones universities like more. For example universities will definitely like maths more than music etc so I want to increase my chances of getting in
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks! What are my chances if I swap economics with business. Which subject do you think would be better ?
I don't think Oxford or Cambridge will care. Note however that is not necessarily true of some other universities, and for example LSE specifically states business studies is a "non-preferred" A-level. So you should probably do some research on the other four universities you will be applying to as well as Oxford or Cambridge. I believe English language may also be on LSE's "non-preferred" list and taking two non-preferred subjects will pretty much guarantee you will be immediately rejected by LSE, since LSE law is generally more competitive than Oxford or Cambridge law in most years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (247)
51.14%
No (236)
48.86%

Watched Threads