nothrsa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I got my offers back and now I have to make a choice for my firm and insurance. I have offers from University of manchester, queen mary, soas and two other ones that i don’t plan on going to. which uni would u lot recommend for econ?
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your choices will depend on you. I have preferences, but my criteria could well be different to that of yours.

Manchester would be my first choice. It's challenging (very mathematical), Russell Group, and a top choice for employers. Just expect to work hard there.

Queen Mary would be a good insurance choice for me. It's got a good reputation for economics, and it's local to London which is great for internships, etc. It doesn't seem as math heavy as Manchester's degree though.

To be honest, the choice in modules don't really change that much across all 3 and they all seem interesting and varied. The degrees from Manchester and Queen Mary allows you to study modules that would provide exemptions for accounting qualifications e.g. CIMA, ACCA, ACA, albiet only a handful of exemptions (it's economics after all, not accounting). SOAS is more accommodating if maths isn't your strong suit though.

If you have done your research on the universities, it shouldn't be difficult to figure out the nuances between them.
nothrsa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by MindMax2000)
Your choices will depend on you. I have preferences, but my criteria could well be different to that of yours.

Manchester would be my first choice. It's challenging (very mathematical), Russell Group, and a top choice for employers. Just expect to work hard there.

Queen Mary would be a good insurance choice for me. It's got a good reputation for economics, and it's local to London which is great for internships, etc. It doesn't seem as math heavy as Manchester's degree though.

To be honest, the choice in modules don't really change that much across all 3 and they all seem interesting and varied. The degrees from Manchester and Queen Mary allows you to study modules that would provide exemptions for accounting qualifications e.g. CIMA, ACCA, ACA, albiet only a handful of exemptions (it's economics after all, not accounting). SOAS is more accommodating if maths isn't your strong suit though.

If you have done your research on the universities, it shouldn't be difficult to figure out the nuances between them.
I’m planning on doing BAEcon at manchester though, I do a level maths and I’m not bad it, thats why i wanna do a course less mathematically heavy.
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nothrsa)
I’m planning on doing BAEcon at manchester though, I do a level maths and I’m not bad it, thats why i wanna do a course less mathematically heavy.
Conclusion is kind of the same. It won't be as heavily favoured because there is less maths involved though. Manchester remain my top choice.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How to Choose Firm and Insurance - read it all : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...urance-choices
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (598)
49.14%
No (619)
50.86%

Watched Threads