Post grad newbie... funding advice?!~

Watch
redman2502
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm sure this has been asked numerous times over here, I'm also new to TSR and have never posted a thread before so not eveb sure if this is right???

I've recently came to the stark revelation that I may want to pursue post graduate study following the completion of my BEng course this academic year.

I currently study Civil Engineering and will be looking to pursue an MSc course next year.

Just looking for general advice in terms of how people fund through their masters. My current financial situation isn't the best, I still live at home and work hard hours at a part time job to cover living expenses. How does funding work for fees etc.? What are peoples previous experiences
Last edited by redman2502; 1 month ago
Keele Postgraduate
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by redman2502)
I'm sure this has been asked numerous times over here, I'm also new to TSR and have never posted a thread before so not eveb sure if this is right???

I've recently came to the stark revelation that I may want to pursue post graduate study following the completion of my BEng course this academic year.

I currently study Civil Engineering and will be looking to pursue an MSc course next year.

Just looking for general advice in terms of how people fund through their masters. My current financial situation isn't the best, I still live at home and work hard hours at a part time job to cover living expenses. How does funding work for fees etc.? What are peoples previous experiences
Funding a Masters is quite tricky as there aren't that many scholarships/bursaries around so most students fund their course using a variety of sources.

The UK government offer a Masters Loan (https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan). For 2020/21, the amount was £11,222, paid in 3 instalments throughout the year. It's repayable in the same was as the undergraduate student loan and is administered by Student Finance England. In my experience a lot of Masters students (myself included) use the loan to pay their fees and then fund their living expenses from a combination of savings, part-time work, and small bursaries/scholarships.

In some professions, employers will fund or part-fund Masters degrees if the qualification is directly related to your job. Given that you're in Civil Engineering it might be worth seeing if there is an employer - or potential employer - who might do this as then your employer would pay your course fees and you'd probably still be earning a part-time wage to help with living costs. Most employer funded Masters programmes do tend to be part-time in my experience though as you'll be working alongside studying.

Bursaries and scholarships wise, there are some guides to major charitable funders and schemes on Prospects (https://www.prospects.ac.uk/postgrad...graduate-study) and Scholarship Search (https://www.postgraduatesearch.com/funding).

You should also check individual university websites as a lot of universities offer fee discounts or small bursaries depending on your circumstances. At Keele, for example, we offer fee discounts to alumni as well as to care leavers and estranged students, and to those who achieved a first class degree at undergraduate level (https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/postgr...olarshipsukeu/). Some universities may also advertise specific funded Masters programmes - for example, Keele are currently advertising an MSc in Artificial Intelligence and Data Science that is co-funded by the Office for Students and offers up to £10,000 scholarships for students from underrepresented groups.

Hope that helps!

Amy Louise
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (519)
51.34%
No (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads