Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This might sound silly but do all dentists have the ability to fix any issue with your teeth? I believe one of my teeth’s enamel is thinning causing sensitivity and transparency and was told I would need dental bonding which is adding like resin to the tooth so sorta like fake enamel or something but every dentist in my town doesn’t list it as something they do and for some reason isn’t covered by the NHS when enamel loss is like one of the most common issues?

I just assumed all dentists had access to the same stuff and was prepared with the right stuff to help with any issue you may go to them with?

Has anyone had issues in the past with thinning enamel if so how did your dentist fix it? one person told me a filling on his thinning front tooth but I didn’t know fillings were used for warm enamel.

Thanks
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes any dentist can do this. It’s not a listed treatment because not every treatment option is listed otherwise you’d be standing there all day reading said list.
Last edited by Mesopotamian.; 1 month ago
Nuttyy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
This might sound silly but do all dentists have the ability to fix any issue with your teeth? I believe one of my teeth’s enamel is thinning causing sensitivity and transparency and was told I would need dental bonding which is adding like resin to the tooth so sorta like fake enamel or something but every dentist in my town doesn’t list it as something they do and for some reason isn’t covered by the NHS when enamel loss is like one of the most common issues?

I just assumed all dentists had access to the same stuff and was prepared with the right stuff to help with any issue you may go to them with?

Has anyone had issues in the past with thinning enamel if so how did your dentist fix it? one person told me a filling on his thinning front tooth but I didn’t know fillings were used for warm enamel.

Thanks

It's may not be a procedure covered by the NHS, so you won't be covered if you're an NHS patient. If you ask your dentist privately, they'll probably be able to do it, or point you in the right direction.
Last edited by Nuttyy; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Oh okay, so if I get referred somewhere on a NHS emergency appointment and they tell me I need that doing they won’t do it unless I pay privately?
Nuttyy
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Oh okay, so if I get referred somewhere on a NHS emergency appointment and they tell me I need that doing they won’t do it unless I pay privately?
Yep, they may be able to diagnose it, but they won't treat it under the NHS if its not covered under the band 2 treatment (which fillings/restorations usually are). I may be wrong.

Im also kinda confused whether this could be covered on the NHS or not actually. If it's clinically necessary, then it might be covered.

DrTSR will know best.
Last edited by Nuttyy; 1 month ago
DrTSR
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Beyond wearing a night guard for attrition based tooth wear, treatment of worn teeth isn't something that is usually covered in general practice by the NHS.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
You’d think they would cover it seeing as most issues people have is enamel related lol, my dentist confirmed they do it but not under NHS even if necessary all they can do is offer alternatives such as veneers apparently which doesn’t make sense as you need strong enamel for veneers to even be applied so I’m not sure ✌️don’t mind paying private prices for it either way but found it interesting NHS doesn’t cover it, using it for whiter teeth I can see why they wouldn’t but for just repairing enamel I don’t get why they wouldn’t but meh.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (405)
52.26%
No (370)
47.74%

Watched Threads