Weight loss

Watch
sskeeeeeenggggg
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I was wondering if this is effective for weight loss, since lockdown I have been eating lots of fast food and I have been drinking more soda rather than water and increasing sugar in my tea - so far even though I cheated a bit ( had a biscuit and a mini roll in past days) I have no sugary tea I don’t eat bread for breakfast although I have malt bread that’s like fitness bread occasionally , I stopped eating potatoes I eat more salads I eat less at night ( I don’t eat big portions so that hasn’t really changed) I stopped snacking and I drink 3 l of water. I’ve been walking a bit more and doing at home moderate exercises. Any tips ? I’m finding it hard to not eat past 8 pm because I go bed quite late and been trying to change that
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can eat at anytime; it really doesn't matter. But you need to ensure that you're in a caloric deficit. You could exercise all you want, but you wouldn't lose weight if you were, for example, eating at a surplus.
ashtolga23
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It sounds like you’re finding it hard not to eat after 8pm, so you’re probably more likely to slip up. Make your eating habits suit you.

You can eat at any time you want as long as you’ve left enough calories for it. Try low-calorie snacks at night: anything from fruit to “healthy” versions of crisps and whatnot.
sskeeeeeenggggg
Rep:
?
(Original post by gtty123)
You can eat at anytime; it really doesn't matter. But you need to ensure that you're in a caloric deficit. You could exercise all you want, but you wouldn't lose weight if you were, for example, eating at a surplus.
Do you know how I’ll know whether I’m eating less calories without actually weighing stuff out
gtty123
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sskeeeeeenggggg)
Do you know how I’ll know whether I’m eating less calories without actually weighing stuff out
You could do a daily weigh-in. That is probably the best way to tell if a deficit is working for you.
sskeeeeeenggggg
Rep:
?
(Original post by gtty123)
You could do a daily weigh-in. That is probably the best way to tell if a deficit is working for you.
Weigh myself or the food 😂
gtty123
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yourself lol.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your weight can fluctuate over a short petiod of time so not point weighing yourself daily; weekly is fine.

You don't need to weigh all the food out. Just have an idea of the calories in portion sizes, and think about how much you normally eat, and if you are having plenty of veg and salad that is filling without adding a massive amount of calories. Also, you don't need to cut out foods, just reduce the amount or have healthy 'brown' versions; wholegrain, wholemeal etc. Your body still needs carbs, but don't remove starch and sugar, just cut down on the latter.
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Your weight can fluctuate over a short petiod of time so not point weighing yourself daily; weekly is fine.

You don't need to weigh all the food out. Just have an idea of the calories in portion sizes, and think about how much you normally eat, and if you are having plenty of veg and salad that is filling without adding a massive amount of calories. Also, you don't need to cut out foods, just reduce the amount or have healthy 'brown' versions; wholegrain, wholemeal etc. Your body still needs carbs, but don't remove starch and sugar, just cut down on the latter.
The fact that your weight can fluctuate over a short period of time is reason TO weigh yourself daily and make a weekly average rather than take 1 data point that may or may not be affected by water and/or glycogen.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Dax_Swagg3r)
The fact that your weight can fluctuate over a short period of time is reason TO weigh yourself daily and make a weekly average rather than take 1 data point that may or may not be affected by water and/or glycogen.
Just the opposite. You can lose up to 2lbs a week and you'll see the balance of those changes and hopefully a downward trend with weekly weighing; plenty of recommendations for that.
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just the opposite. You can lose up to 2lbs a week and you'll see the balance of those changes and hopefully a downward trend with weekly weighing; plenty of recommendations for that.
No, lets say a person chooses Monday to weigh themselves and the night before every week they go out to eat or smt, their Monday reading will be inflated by glycogen and water. This will make the person think they're not losing weight or they are losing weight very slowly causing them to cut more kcalories even if on average their weight loss is the safe amount of 1% of bw. The opposite can also happen, causing them to increase their kcalories and not lose any weight at all. Versus if they take an average, even taking multiple data points a week does not have to be 7, they will know for sure if their losing or not and if its at a good rate.
Nutritionist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

I’m inclined to agree with Dax and say daily weigh ins are better. What if on your one weekly weigh in you’re holding more water and weigh in 2lbs heavier than you’ve been every other day of the week? The lack of data points leaves it more vulnerable to anomalies
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nutritionist)
I’m inclined to agree with Dax and say daily weigh ins are better. What if on your one weekly weigh in you’re holding more water and weigh in 2lbs heavier than you’ve been every other day of the week? The lack of data points leaves it more vulnerable to anomalies
It's not my opinion though, did you read the part about recomnendations? Read up.
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's not my opinion though, did you read the part about recomnendations? Read up.
Recommendations by who?
Nutritionist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It’s not clear what you mean by that
rommroma557
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Recently, I also gained weight. I didn't know how to deal with it because just doing exercises didn't help me. On one site I read about different types of diets, sets of exercises and vitamins for good health. A few weeks later I had a good result. Now I'm in very good shape thanks to that. On the same site, I buy rybelsus for my dad and he is also happy with the medication
Last edited by rommroma557; 3 weeks ago
sskeeeeeenggggg
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago

Thank you xx
DinoZor
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You can eat at dinner. But choose light food. Kefir, yogurt, fruit, you can even vegetable salad.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (392)
32.26%
No (823)
67.74%

Watched Threads