4 Penalties PCN in same spot

Watch
AnonymousDe
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have received 4 PCN's in the exact same spot. The PCN was for being stopped on a restricted bus stop or stand. I was completely unaware that I wasn't allowed to stop there and did it regularly as there was barely any signage. However, the first time I did it the PCN took a month and a half to arrive, and by the time that came, I had already stopped there so many times. I even got 2 PCN's literally 2 hours apart as I didn't know. I stopped at that bus stop on 03/01/2021 and 10/01/2021 (twice on this day) these three PCN's were in my personal car. The first one I got here was all the way back on 25/11/2020 and this was in a rental car and this was issued on 07/01/2021 and forwarded to me on the 19th.

Do you think I could appeal on this basis that by the time I got the first PCN I had already stopped there 4 times and genuinely didn't know? I'm only 18 and if I have to pay for these fines it's going to literally destroy me from the inside please help.

Thanks!
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think they could argue that ignorance to the law is no excuse for breaking it, and to some degree it should be common sense that cars cannot stop at BUS stops.
AnonymousDe
Rep:
?
(Original post by ROTL94)
I think they could argue that ignorance to the law is no excuse for breaking it, and to some degree it should be common sense that cars cannot stop at BUS stops.
A lot of bus stops are just treated as normal roads, I would have never stopped there multiple times if I had known it wasn't allowed. Plus I really don't have the finances to pay for these. I don't know what to do. If I appeal and it's unsuccessful, then I need to wait 28 days for a Notice to Owner form to appeal formally but then the fine goes up to £130 for each one.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AnonymousDe)
A lot of bus stops are just treated as normal roads, I would have never stopped there multiple times if I had known it wasn't allowed. Plus I really don't have the finances to pay for these. I don't know what to do. If I appeal and it's unsuccessful, then I need to wait 28 days for a Notice to Owner form to appeal formally but then the fine goes up to £130 for each one.
Rule 243 of the Highway Code clearly states:
DO NOT stop or park

near a school entrance
anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank
on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing
opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles
in front of an entrance to a property
on a bend
where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities except when forced to do so by stationary traffic.
AnonymousDe
Rep:
?
(Original post by ROTL94)
Rule 243 of the Highway Code clearly states:
DO NOT stop or park

near a school entrance
anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank
on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing
opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles
in front of an entrance to a property
on a bend
where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities except when forced to do so by stationary traffic.
I understand this now but wasn't aware at the time as there were no road markings and a very tiny sign that said no stopping. I think it's unfair how it took the council nearly 2 months to send the PCN. If they had sent it in an understandable time frame then I never would have stopped there anymore.
AnonymousDe
Rep:
?
I have received 4 PCN's in the exact same spot. The PCN was for being stopped on a restricted bus stop or stand. I was completely unaware that I wasn't allowed to stop there and did it regularly as there was barely any signage. However, the first time I did it the PCN took a month and a half to arrive, and by the time that came, I had already stopped there so many times. I even got 2 PCN's literally 2 hours apart as I didn't know. I stopped at that bus stop on 03/01/2021 and 10/01/2021 (twice on this day) these three PCN's were in my personal car. The first one I got here was all the way back on 25/11/2020 and this was in a rental car and this was issued on 07/01/2021 and forwarded to me on the 19th.

Do you think I could appeal on this basis that by the time I got the first PCN I had already stopped there 4 times and genuinely didn't know? I'm only 18 and if I have to pay for these fines it's going to literally destroy me from the inside please help.

Thanks!
help
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thanks!
No, you have no basis for appeal.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Common sense not to park at bus stops, sign or no sign i'm afraid, no appeal.

I'd maybe try pleading lockdown and financial hardship and ask if the 4 fines can be rolled into 1 or such... but frankly I wouldn't get my hopes up, it's not in their interests to help.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thanks!
I once got 2 PCN's at the same spot within 4 minutes of each other. I was lost, drove up a very short bus lane, then turned around and came back the same way. Whoops.

I paid one fine straight and successfully disputed the other. I pleaded ignorance and listed the mitigating factors, (night time, raining, unfamiliar area, pedestrians crossing visible on the evidencial pics). They would have every right to insist I paid both but I got lucky.

In your case, I don't think you have grounds to dispute the PCN's. The incidents were spaced apart and presumably under all sorts of conditions. You should reasonably have spotted the signage/road markings on at least one occasion.

As above, I would contact them about your finances but councils tend to be a bit robotic about such things.
Derk121
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thanks!
I am sorry to read your pain, I know how one feels ,as in past I had similar situation , There is defiantly injustice you may have corrected ur mistake if they would have informed you in shorter span but legally the council will fight back, there is wee bit chances judge may give u reprieve considering your circumstances age etc, but reaching to that level may be very cumbersome unless if u r free and want to seek justice yourself or fight for justice. Govt should change the law and should not issue another fine unless 1st is accepted or give 1 week of time for driver to find same fault again. Time to start Petition for change in laws. Cheers
Last edited by Derk121; 1 month ago
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Derk121)
I am sorry to read your pain, I know how one feels ,as in past I had similar situation , There is defiantly injustice you may have corrected ur mistake if they would have informed you in shorter span but legally the council will fight back, there is wee bit chances judge may give u reprieve considering your circumstances age etc, but reaching to that level may be very cumbersome unless if u r free and want to seek justice yourself or fight for justice. Govt should change the law and should not issue another fine unless 1st is accepted or give 1 week of time for driver to find is same fault again. Time to start Petition for change in laws. Cheers
Uh, this doesn't sound a lot like 'injustice'. The highway code is clear, no stopping/parking at bus stops. Drivers should already be aware of this without relying on a PCN to tell them.

The idea that you get a free period after breaking rules to break them more is absurd IMO
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Uh, this doesn't sound a lot like 'injustice'. The highway code is clear, no stopping/parking at bus stops. Drivers should already be aware of this without relying on a PCN to tell them.

The idea that you get a free period after breaking rules to break them more is absurd IMO
Drive through one speed camera at 75 in a 70.
Camera flashes.
"Oh well, might as well cane it now"
Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash. Flash.
Derk121
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hope somebody watches judgecaprio on U_tube and see how he pardons/reduces minor fines due to some silly mistakes.
cheers
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Derk121)
Hope somebody watches judgecaprio on U_tube and see how he pardons/reduces minor fines due to some silly mistakes.
cheers
This isn't America.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (70)
12.13%
Virtual campus tours/open days (141)
24.44%
Live streaming events (50)
8.67%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (54)
9.36%
A uni comparison tool (134)
23.22%
An in-person event when available (128)
22.18%