Are these a levels okay for doing a business course in uni

Watch
username54
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys im in year 11 and i have to pick my a levels. I chose sociology business and btec media. Are these okay?
abbbbbb.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by username54)
Hi guys im in year 11 and i have to pick my a levels. I chose sociology business and btec media. Are these okay?
That should be okay for most universities. But some universities (i.e. certain russel groups ones) might be picky with the btec media. Some universities also prefer students to take alevel maths (i.e. LSE for management) but not all. But if you do not take a level maths you will most likely need a 6 or a 7 in maths to get into the course.

Hope this advice helps if you have any more questions feel free to message me (I applied for business management this year)
dylgeo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd swap the BTEC media for the A-Level equivalent. I also think you should swap Business with Economics,
username54
Rep:
?
(Original post by dylgeo)
I'd swap the BTEC media for the A-Level equivalent. I also think you should swap Business with Economics,
My school doesn't offer a level media and im not really good at maths.
username54
Rep:
?
(Original post by abbbbbb.)
That should be okay for most universities. But some universities (i.e. certain russel groups ones) might be picky with the btec media. Some universities also prefer students to take alevel maths (i.e. LSE for management) but not all. But if you do not take a level maths you will most likely need a 6 or a 7 in maths to get into the course.

Hope this advice helps if you have any more questions feel free to message me (I applied for business management this year)
Thank you very much, what did you pick for a levels?
dylgeo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Economics, History, and Maths
username54
Rep:
?
Economics, History, and Maths
Ahh im not good at maths i get grade 5s or 4 im barely passing. Do you think ill get into a decent university?
dylgeo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ahh im not good at maths i get grade 5s or 4 im barely passing. Do you think ill get into a decent university?
Do you live in London?
username54
Rep:
?
Do you live in London?
Yeah but im looking to go a university out of london
dylgeo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah but im looking to go a university out of london
If you're around a 5 in Maths, BSix in Clapton will accept that to do Maths. If you can try and get a 6, then SFX in Balham accepts that too, try and aim for the 6 though.
username54
Rep:
?
If you're around a 5 in Maths, BSix in Clapton will accept that to do Maths. If you can try and get a 6, then SFX in Balham accepts that too, try and aim for the 6 though.
thank you i will check that out , how did you find sixth form and what advice would you give me please
abbbbbb.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Economics, media studies and geography at alevel
dylgeo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
thank you i will check that out , how did you find sixth form and what advice would you give me please
By searching online. Little information was given to me so I had to do my own research. I'd advise for you to apply ASAP.
username54
Rep:
?
By searching online. Little information was given to me so I had to do my own research. I'd advise for you to apply ASAP.
oh im staying on at my school's sixth form sorry if i didnt make that clear. Ive already applied so I wanted to know what sixth form is like and what to expect. Thank you anyways
username54
Rep:
?
Economics, media studies and geography at alevel
oh what's media studies like?
abbbbbb.
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
oh what's media studies like?
media studies is quite fun! I would definitely say that it is probably "less hard" than the other subjects that I take. I currently take eduqas media studies, and the content involved is definitely interesting (i.e. magazines such as vogue, vloggers such as Zoella, music videos....etc). Will 100000% say that the coursework component is my favourite, as we get to make magazine front covers, use photoshop and even use professional photography equipment! I think that media will be very useful for me in the future as it relates to marketing a lot (which is something I want to pursue). Would definitely recommend this subject
username54
Rep:
?
media studies is quite fun! I would definitely say that it is probably "less hard" than the other subjects that I take. I currently take eduqas media studies, and the content involved is definitely interesting (i.e. magazines such as vogue, vloggers such as Zoella, music videos....etc). Will 100000% say that the coursework component is my favourite, as we get to make magazine front covers, use photoshop and even use professional photography equipment! I think that media will be very useful for me in the future as it relates to marketing a lot (which is something I want to pursue). Would definitely recommend this subject
That sounds really fun! My school only offers btec media , which is a shame. I also want to pursue marketing but I just don't know how to go about it. I think sociology, business and btec media is a good basis
asdfghjkloiu
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A decent one sure. But not a good one. Combined with a low maths grade and a btec in media you won't get into a good one.
Last edited by asdfghjkloiu; 1 month ago
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Business courses at uni probably won't require A-level maths and don't seem to require any specific subjects, but they may require a certain grade in GCSE maths - I just went and checked Leeds and Birmingham and they have GCSE maths requirements. It's not as mathematical as economics, but you can't entirely avoid it either.

Also check how they consider applications with BTECs alongside A-levels.
username54
Rep:
?
(Original post by asdfghjkloiu)
A decent one sure. But not a good one. Combined with a low maths grade and a btec in media you won't get into a good one.
I just want a decent one at least thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (405)
52.26%
No (370)
47.74%

Watched Threads