Haywood1743
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I would appreciate if anyone could help with this it really feels like the question doesn't have enough information

A non-uniform rod, AB, of mass m and length 2l, rests in equilibrium with one end A on a rough horizontal floor and the other end B against a rough vertical wall. The rod is in a vertical plane perpendicular to the wall and makes an angle of 60° with the floor as shown in Figure 1.

The coefficient of friction between the rod and the floor is 1/4 and the coefficient of friction between the rod and the wall is 2/3 . The rod is on the point of slipping at both ends.

(a) Find the magnitude of the vertical component of the force exerted on the rod by the floor.
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Haywood1743)
I would appreciate if anyone could help with this it really feels like the question doesn't have enough information

A non-uniform rod, AB, of mass m and length 2l, rests in equilibrium with one end A on a rough horizontal floor and the other end B against a rough vertical wall. The rod is in a vertical plane perpendicular to the wall and makes an angle of 60° with the floor as shown in Figure 1.

The coefficient of friction between the rod and the floor is 1/4 and the coefficient of friction between the rod and the wall is 2/3 . The rod is on the point of slipping at both ends.

(a) Find the magnitude of the vertical component of the force exerted on the rod by the floor.
Have you sketched it and set up the resolved forces & moments? I guess the key statement is that its on the point of slipping.
List how many unknowns you have and hopefully the number of equations should match. Work out which ones you need for a)
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (517)
51.34%
No (490)
48.66%

Watched Threads