Is it really worth taking A level biology

Watch
jennifer_123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m in year 11 and have to choose my options by next week. I want a career on healthcare/nhs working in a hospital maybe. It would be ideal to take a science like biology but im afraid that I’d would be way too difficult for me to handle. I was reading these comments for ages and everyone says how hard it is and idk if I can physically and mentally cope with the demands of biology AQA alevel. I wanted to take psychology but I know that wouldn’t open as many doors in the career line of healthcare. But would it be possible to take psychology as it’s a social science and still get to Pursue a career in healthcare??
physgradstudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unless you want to do pharmacy, medicine or dentistry it’s not really necessary. Actually A-level chemistry is the one that’s essential for these courses (but it’s good to have more than one science).

If you’re looking at things like social work, nursing or midwifery then A-level biology isn’t a requirement.

It’s probably best if you look into the range of jobs within healthcare and look at their entry requirements to figure out what kind of role you’re aiming for.
Harisejaz829
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if you want to work in healthcare, you definitely need biology a level biology is needed for almost all healthcare science courses, even when chemistry isn't and as a current second year biology student, i can tell you that it isn't as hard as you think, it is a lot of content but if you keep up with all work, notes, exam practice weekly, you will be fine. also the content is very enjoyable and learning about the different bodily systems inspired me to apply for biology at universityso my advice is- research what exactly you wan to do in the future and pick the subjects you would need. do not miss out on your goals just because something is hard, because all a levels are going to be hard in their own way
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (517)
51.34%
No (490)
48.66%

Watched Threads