Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I have an interview for maths with physics at york in about a week and was wondering if anyone had any tips guidance or advice. It's going to be via a video call so I'm sure how different it will be to a normal one. It's a physics interview. Will they be asking me to solve questions or will it just be talking? Any help appriciated.
physgradstudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They are likely to ask a bit about why you want to study physics and about your personal statement. They’ll probably also ask 1 or 2 physics questions as well. It mostly depends on which lecturer interviews you and how nice they are.

Honestly it’s not really something to worry about, because they don’t really reject people based on the interview. It’s more of an informal chat and a chance for them to sell the university to you.
Bow566
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I have an interview for maths with physics at york in about a week and was wondering if anyone had any tips guidance or advice. It's going to be via a video call so I'm sure how different it will be to a normal one. It's a physics interview. Will they be asking me to solve questions or will it just be talking? Any help appriciated.
My friend recently had a York engineering interview. His advice is to relax, they are very friendly and not looking to over stretch you like oxbridge. More than anything they will want to convince YOU that it is the right place to study, they even went as far as telling him they looked forward to seeing him next year.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by physgradstudent)
They are likely to ask a bit about why you want to study physics and about your personal statement. They’ll probably also ask 1 or 2 physics questions as well. It mostly depends on which lecturer interviews you and how nice they are.

Honestly it’s not really something to worry about, because they don’t really reject people based on the interview. It’s more of an informal chat and a chance for them to sell the university to you.
I'm guessing the physics questions can come from anywhere in the course so it wouldn't help me just to look at say astrophysics to prepare if that makes sense?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Bow566)
My friend recently had a York engineering interview. His advice is to relax, they are very friendly and not looking to over stretch you like oxbridge. More than anything they will want to convince YOU that it is the right place to study, they even went as far as telling him they looked forward to seeing him next year.
I've been slightly worried about it as none of my friends who applied to york got interviews, they just got offers straight away so ive been stressing a bit
physgradstudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm guessing the physics questions can come from anywhere in the course so it wouldn't help me just to look at say astrophysics to prepare if that makes sense?
Unless your personal statement mentions astrophysics I don’t think they’d ask you about it because not everyone studies astrophysics at a level.

It’s more likely to be mechanics, electricity, waves or fields. But honestly don’t worry about this part they’ll help you through it.

Also wether or not they do interviews depends on the course and department so don’t worry that your friends haven’t been offered them.

Bow566 is completely right
Last edited by physgradstudent; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by physgradstudent)
Unless your personal statement mentions astrophysics I don’t think they’d ask you about it because not everyone studies astrophysics at a level.

It’s more likely to be mechanics, electricity, waves or fields. But honestly don’t worry about this part they’ll help you through it.

Also wether or not they do interviews depends on the course and department so don’t worry that your friends haven’t been offered them.

Bow566 is completely right
That's really reassuring, thank you
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
I had my interview for physics at york yesterday and the interviewers were really calm and gave me loads of hints/tips for the question. At first, they just asked why I wanted to study physics which I think they ask everyone so be sure to have a basic answer in preparation for that, the rest was just a few basic questions about my personal statement but they really weren't too pressing.
After I was given a question based on momentum, I was a bit unsure at first so I asked them a few questions on how to tackle it and they were more than happy to help so don't be afraid to ask questions. I got a bit lost at points when attempting to answer it but they guided me in the right direction and they probably will do the same with all interviewees so my only advice is to stay calm and don't be afraid.

They sent me an offer today and from what I've read they offer nearly all students a place after the interview, I think they're more trying to sell the university to you than anything. Hope this helps in some way if anyone worried about their interview!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (405)
52.26%
No (370)
47.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise