I think the answer is C.
BDavies1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mxx454)
What’s the answer for this? I’m not sure
You get optical isomerism when you have 3 bidentate ligands around one metal ion (octahedral shape). I have included a drawing of this. You also get optical isomers when one hexadentate ligand (usually EDTA4-) binds- the same idea but it is too difficult to draw. At A-level, you usually only come across optical isomerism in organic chemistry when there are 4 different groups are attached to a carbon. This is the only other time you come across it (i.e. a bidentate or hexadentate ligand in a complex ion)-it's tricky but just remember this one-off.

Please see diagram in attachment
Attached files
mxx454
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by BDavies1)
You get optical isomerism when you have 3 bidentate ligands around one metal ion (octahedral shape). I have included a drawing of this. You also get optical isomers when one hexadentate ligand (usually EDTA4-) binds- the same idea but it is too difficult to draw. At A-level, you usually only come across optical isomerism in organic chemistry when there are 4 different groups are attached to a carbon. This is the only other time you come across it (i.e. a bidentate or hexadentate ligand in a complex ion)-it's tricky but just remember this one-off.

Please see diagram in attachment
Thank you!!
BDavies1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mxx454)
Thank you!!
sorry that diagram was a little bit wrong...here is the corrected version..sorry
Attached files
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.7%
Virtual campus tours/open days (114)
23.36%
Live streaming events (44)
9.02%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (47)
9.63%
A uni comparison tool (111)
22.75%
An in-person event when available (110)
22.54%