Does anyone want to connect with me - I am an aspiring Oxbridge medical applicant?

Watch
ShadowKing132
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello everyone,

I am currently in AS Level studying Bio, Chem, Phys and Maths - I'm aiming for 4 A's in AS Level and entry into Oxbridge.

I was wondering if anyone else had similar goals to me just so I can network with like minded people?

Here are some of the things I have done:

I am a senior member of a nonprofit organisation (which I will not name as it could be classed as promo :<) where we provide free help to students struggling in their exams - we have around 10k views on our website

I have entered numerous essay competitions, both national and international, and have been shortlisted a few times (sadly still havent won one )

Partaken in numerous virtual work experience programs and other such events. Worked in a care home in the US and also volunteered with disabled kids in the US.

Worked on a research project with a professor from Oxford

So yeah, that's pretty much everything about me. If anyone would like to connect with me, feel free to reply to this post! I may sound like a total nerd but I'm really not !!
asdfghjkloiu
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
4As isn't high enough
ShadowKing132
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by asdfghjkloiu)
4As isn't high enough
4 A's for AS Level where A is the maximum grade - For A2, I would like 3A*
asdfghjkloiu
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ShadowKing132)
4 A's for AS Level where A is the maximum grade - For A2, I would like 3A*
Oh nvm. My school did AS up to A*
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello everyone,

I am currently in AS Level studying Bio, Chem, Phys and Maths - I'm aiming for 4 A's in AS Level and entry into Oxbridge.

I was wondering if anyone else had similar goals to me just so I can network with like minded people?

I am a senior member of a nonprofit organisation (which I will not name as it could be classed as promo :<) where we provide free help to students struggling in their exams - we have around 10k views on our website

I have entered numerous essay competitions, both national and international, and have been shortlisted a few times (sadly still havent won one )

Partaken in numerous virtual work experience programs and other such events. Worked in a care home in the US and also volunteered with disabled kids in the US.

So yeah, that's pretty much everything about me. If anyone would like to connect with me, feel free to reply to this post! I may sound like a total nerd but I'm really not !!
(1) Oxbridge "outranks" medicine so your thread is moved to the Oxbridge forum

(2) You can only apply to Oxford or Cambridge so you'd need to pick one pretty soon

(3) If you wanted to discuss with other current Year 12s who are applying to medicine generally (not Oxbridge) then use this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6545350

Remember all medical degrees are the same and you don't get an advantage graduating from Oxbridge - for UK specialty training purposes so make sure you pick your med schools for the right reasons and not because of the reputation of the university.
lanadelreyfan789
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello everyone,

Hey! I'm in year 11 and would be my dream to go to oxford or Cambridge medicine. I'm planning to take biology, physics and chemistry (my fourth may be maths, but I'm also considering a humanity like history or english lit) and aiming for mostly 9s for my GCSEs. I was able to do some work experience but not much bc of the lockdown obviously . May I ask how difficult it is to take all four Alevels, bc all of them are hard subjects? And what online courses/books do u recommend to strengthen ur med application? You already seem like a very strong candidate tho, good luck!
username5611408
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lanadelreyfan789)
Hey! I'm in year 11 and would be my dream to go to oxford or Cambridge medicine. I'm planning to take biology, physics and chemistry (my fourth may be maths, but I'm also considering a humanity like history or english lit) and aiming for mostly 9s for my GCSEs. I was able to do some work experience but not much bc of the lockdown obviously . May I ask how difficult it is to take all four Alevels, bc all of them are hard subjects? And what online courses/books do u recommend to strengthen ur med application? You already seem like a very strong candidate tho, good luck!
Sounds great! I'd just advise against taking A-level Physics without doing A-Level Maths.
lanadelreyfan789
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yeah I think I’m gonna take all 4 ) and then at the end of year 12 drop physics and go into yr13 with bio chem maths
lanadelreyfan789
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
okk thank you ☺️
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lanadelreyfan789)
yeah I think I’m gonna take all 4 ) and then at the end of year 12 drop physics and go into yr13 with bio chem maths
That system doesnt work anymore 90% people in all secondary schools dont do that anymore.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
hey would you mind sending me links to some of those?? i would really appreciate it
Dont even bother applying to oxford.

Its good to be ambitious but you really have to be realistic.

Dont end up wasting one choice when it comes filling in your early application UCAS Form.
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Dont even bother applying to oxford.

Its good to be ambitious but you really have to be realistic.

Dont end up wasting one choice when it comes filling in your early application UCAS Form.
what do you mean? you cant just say that to someone...
Last edited by Qxi.xli; 4 weeks ago
Culver
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don’t think there’s any such thing as being unrealistic. Let people chase their dreams. In year 12, I was predicted BCC and had a set of not so remarkable GCSE grades. One year later, here I am with an offer from Oxford. It’s never too late to put the work in.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
what do you mean? you cant just say that to someone...
im scoring around 90% in all four of my subjects, im sure i have a chance if I do decide to apply.
Excuse me?

There is no need to be rude.

I am just saying it is good to be ambitious, but you really have to be realistic.

I am telling you the harsh reality mainly because i was in the same situation as you last year and dont want anyone to face that.

Stop being so rude. Also, change the tone of your language.You come off as really arrogant and boastful.
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Excuse me?

There is no need to be rude.

I am just saying it is good to be ambitious, but you really have to be realistic.

I am telling you the harsh reality mainly because i was in the same situation as you last year and dont want anyone to face that.

Stop being so rude. Also, change the tone of your language.You come off as really arrogant and boastful.
ok im sorry i didn't mean it to come across that way, but you can't say that to someone.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
ok im sorry i didn't mean it to come across that way, but you can't say that to someone.
Stop forcing me what i need and want to say to someone.

Your tone again comes across as so bossy.

Enjoy the snow day.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Culver)
I don’t think there’s any such thing as being unrealistic. Let people chase their dreams. In year 12, I was predicted BCC and had a set of not so remarkable GCSE grades. One year later, here I am with an offer from Oxford. It’s never too late to put the work in.
For Oxford Medicine, a set of "not so remarkable" GCSE grades will just get you automatically rejected. Unless you and I have different definitions of "remarkable".

Just look at https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...cal/statistics

The Oxford med applicant has an average of 8.5 A*s (defined as Grade 8 / 9s).

The Oxford med offer holder has an average of 10.8 A*s.

Anyone with < 7x Grade 8 / 9s will most likely be automatically rejected.

On the other hand, with "not so remarkable" GCSEs you can definitely apply to Cambridge, so all hope is not lost if you didn't get perfect GCSEs.

Just a reminder not to invite DMs and that taking discussions off TSR is not allowed. This is for your protection as some of you (most people in this thread?) is under 18!
Culver
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
For Oxford Medicine, a set of "not so remarkable" GCSE grades will just get you automatically rejected. Unless you and I have different definitions of "remarkable".

Just look at https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...cal/statistics

The Oxford med applicant has an average of 8.5 A*s (defined as Grade 8 / 9s).

The Oxford med offer holder has an average of 10.8 A*s.

Anyone with < 7x Grade 8 / 9s will most likely be automatically rejected.

On the other hand, with "not so remarkable" GCSEs you can definitely apply to Cambridge, so all hope is not lost if you didn't get perfect GCSEs.

Just a reminder not to invite DMs and that taking discussions off TSR is not allowed. This is for your protection as some of you (most people in this thread?) is under 18!
I am aware of this and of the statistics, and I did not apply for medicine. My point is that, no matter what subject you want to apply for, it is always worth a shot. I’m sure, with the predicted grades the OP has provided, they’ll have fantastic GCSE grades. For me, I’d rather have applied and been rejected than spent the rest of my life wondering if I could have got into Oxford or Cambridge. I would definitely recommend anyone to give it a go if that’s what they truly want.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Culver)
I am aware of this and of the statistics, and I did not apply for medicine. My point is that, no matter what subject you want to apply for, it is always worth a shot. I’m sure, with the predicted grades the OP has provided, they’ll have fantastic GCSE grades. For me, I’d rather have applied and been rejected than spent the rest of my life wondering if I could have got into Oxford or Cambridge. I would definitely recommend anyone to give it a go if that’s what they truly want.
GANFYD come and give your spiel.

Just a reminder that you can only apply to four medical schools - so each slot is valuable.

Also you can only apply to either Oxford or Cambridge and their selection criteria are very much different. With 5 A*s for example applying to Oxford would be foolish, but applying to Cambridge is realistic assuming you can get A*A*A and your BMAT is high enough.

Couple this with the fact that where you graduate for Medicine doesn't matter, and you can see why us lot from the Medicine forum advise everyone to apply strategically and not to waste a choice.
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Stop forcing me what i need and want to say to someone.

Your tone again comes across as so bossy.

Enjoy the snow day.
I don't really know how that sounds bossy/arrogant/mean/boastful, I'm just trying to say that people have dreams and you saying that is likely crushing them. If people have the grades, and dream of going somewhere to study a subject they love, why not?

also, it's easy to call people names when you're anon, isn't it? would be nice to see which user you actually are, seeing as apparently, I've repped your recent posts.

hope you enjoy the snow day too
Last edited by Qxi.xli; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (386)
32.17%
No (814)
67.83%

Watched Threads