The Student Room Group

Applying for unis/courses

How early do you have to apply for unis to have a better chance of getting the admission officer to see it?
Original post by anagnorisménos
How early do you have to apply for unis to have a better chance of getting the admission officer to see it?

Literally makes no difference, they have to give all applicants a fair chance. You could apply for a course 6 months before the deadline and still be at the same competitive level as someone who applied on the deadline day.
Original post by Manclass98
Literally makes no difference, they have to give all applicants a fair chance. You could apply for a course 6 months before the deadline and still be at the same competitive level as someone who applied on the deadline day.

Oh okay good to know! Thank you :colone: I heard from my seniors that it would be more effective to apply asap, but at least now I know...

Which deadline?

There is a deadline for Oxbridge and some courses of the 15th October. Other universities and courses guarantee "equal consideration" if you apply by the 15th January (extended this year to the 29th). See here for more details.

Personally, I'd apply as soon as you're ready to, aiming for December (if the October deadline doesn't apply). Some universities (e.g. Imperial) can take a very long time to reply.
Original post by RogerOxon
Which deadline?

Admissions deadline. If a deadline is say January 2nd, someone applying on the 1st and someone who applied in September have the same opportunity.
Admissions deadline. If a deadline is say January 2nd, someone applying on the 1st and someone who applied in September have the same opportunity.

I think that you mean the deadline for equal consideration. I wouldn't recommend leaving it that late, especially as last-minute incidents can be very stressful.
Original post by RogerOxon
I think that you mean the deadline for equal consideration. I wouldn't recommend leaving it that late, especially as last-minute incidents can be very stressful.

Of course it’s not recommended, but there’s nothing in the way of a uni being in favour of one applicant over another based on just when they submitted their application alone.
Oh okay good to know! Thank you :colone: I heard from my seniors that it would be more effective to apply asap, but at least now I know...

Assuming you’re applying through ucas the deadline is the 29th Jan (one week!) - that’s the deadline not only for you to submit your application but for your school/centre to properly send it off too so I wouldn’t wait too much longer just incase there’s any problems :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending