The Student Room Group

Are trainees expected to go in to teach key workers?

Just wondering what the stance is on this. My mentor advised it’s good to come in to get a feel of the school and help the kids etc there’s skeleton staff too and I can do some marking aswell.

What are your thoughts
If the school wants you int then yes, go in.
Yes. Student teachers are able to go in.
Hey @paperclip90

I hope you're enjoying your placement!

Students in initial teacher training are considered 'critical workers' (AKA key workers - source https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-initial-teacher-training-itt/coronavirus-covid-19-initial-teacher-training-itt) meaning you are able to go into school as per government guidance.

Many schools and universities are doing placements slightly differently so I'd recommend speaking to your university and mentors to find out for definite. I do think it would be a great experience for you to be in school and to observe the way bubbles are working; you will no doubt learn some beneficial transferable skills! Continue working with mentors and you will be fine.

Good luck with the remainder of your placement :smile:

Tommy
Reply 4
Original post by paperclip90
Just wondering what the stance is on this. My mentor advised it’s good to come in to get a feel of the school and help the kids etc there’s skeleton staff too and I can do some marking aswell.

What are your thoughts

Yes, it's good experience and certainly more real than remote teaching. It's a lot easier than remote teaching too! It also shows you in a good light to the school, which is useful should a job come up.
Original post by L-K
Yes, it's good experience and certainly more real than remote teaching. It's a lot easier than remote teaching too! It also shows you in a good light to the school, which is useful should a job come up.

Just fearful of covid. I disagreed to the daily lateral flow test as I had 4 false negatives from them when I did them at my last school. I don’t k ow whether I should ask if I could sign up even though I said no the first time. It may reassure me.

It’s a shame the schools so far. But I don’t think I can take a job there. I’ve seen some ads I love the look of. So I’m gonna explore that for now. Thanks for your help though
We're not having trainees on site, as we would not give them sole responsibility for a bubble for the day and we don't want to increase the risk to students by exposing them to an extra adult.

If your school is asking you to go in, I would ask if that is as a supernumerary member of staff or if they expect you to take sole responsibility for a bubble at some point.

If the first option, I would talk it through with your uni and your union. If the second, I would assume they are a bit desperate in terms of staffing numbers, so I'd be tempted to help out if I was young and healthy- but obviously it's an individual choice.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
We're not having trainees on site, as we would not give them sole responsibility for a bubble for the day and we don't want to increase the risk to students by exposing them to an extra adult.

If your school is asking you to go in, I would ask if that is as a supernumerary member of staff or if they expect you to take sole responsibility for a bubble at some point.

If the first option, I would talk it through with your uni and your union. If the second, I would assume they are a bit desperate in terms of staffing numbers, so I'd be tempted to help out if I was young and healthy- but obviously it's an individual choice.

The thing is I chose not to consent to testing. This testing would mean if I’m in contact with a positive individual. I still have to go in to work and take LF tests unless it shows positive. Which is concerning as any LF test I have comes up negative. And I’d feel uncomfortable going in if I’ve been near someone with it.
Original post by paperclip90
The thing is I chose not to consent to testing. This testing would mean if I’m in contact with a positive individual. I still have to go in to work and take LF tests unless it shows positive. Which is concerning as any LF test I have comes up negative. And I’d feel uncomfortable going in if I’ve been near someone with it.

I'm not sure how any of that is relevant to what I've said?

You going into school puts everyone there at more risk, and puts you at more risk. However, if your mentor is urging it, presumably they think the risk is worthwhile- I think you need to unpack why that is and discuss it with your union and university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending