The Student Room Group

Looking for a fun daily €12k (£10k) to spend

I'm looking to upgrade my from first car, it's a 1.4 petrol MK5 Golf.

I want something fun to drive, that's the main thing.
I commute 25 miles each way, at the minute it's twice a week but it can be much more frequent without Covid (and work placement from home).
So I want something that's engaging and fun to drive on B roads that won't bankrupt me in terms of running costs.

Practicality really isn't an issue, I rarely use the boot and I rarely carry passengers.
I don't want a convertible, I've owned a couple Mx-5s as projects and I just want something different.

I'm thinking Fiesta ST (2013), they're reasonable to insure in Ireland, reasonable to tax, cheap to run, for a hot hatch.
I just wonder if it'll be too small/bouncy for my commute, but they get some great reviews.

For the same money and same mileage (100k), there's a 2011, Mk6 GTI, slightly more expensive to run, and tax but same on insurance, it would probably be a bit more comfortable for my commute, even though comfort really isn't a major fact, it just can't be awful.

Clio 197, 07, lowish mileage, 2k+ cheaper than the others, higher tax and insurance, and they can have gearbox issues but I've heard they're great fun to drive.

Peugeot 208 GTI, cheap for the year, lower mileage, reasonable tax etc.
Probably harder to sell on/depreciate more, also not as much aftermarket support.

Beyond that I don't know.
GT86 is too expensive, Focus ST too.
Anything RWD is expensive to insure it seems..
So fun hot hatches are really what I'm after unless something else crops up.
Any suggestions?
Honda nsx 2000 plate
Original post by TheYearNiner
Honda nsx 2000 plate

Yes please.

I can't even find one in Ireland.
Prob get a good Civic Type R for that money if that was yr thing. (Or even one of older Integra Type R's)

I've drove a mk7 Fiesta Tit X and it was pleasant and roomy enough. Didn't feel like driving a titchy car (I'm maybe 5'11)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by StriderHort
Prob get a good Civic Type R for that money if that was yr thing. (Or even one of older Integra Type R's)

I've drove a mk7 Fiesta Tit X and it was pleasant and roomy enough. Didn't feel like driving a titchy car (I'm maybe 5'11)

I unfortunately can't get insured on an EP3, and there's not to many Fn2s around.
Integras are in the same boat as the EP3, lovely car though.

I'm 5'7 and not a heavy set fella I think a Fiesta would be fine in terms of room.
It's more so many parents saying it's too small in terms of road presence, and safety wise.
Reply 5
The Golf would be your best bet for commuting comfort. Good fun to drive and easy to wind the power up if you so decide. Much nicer looking and more grown up than the Fiesta IMO. Fabia VRS maybe? An old one with the PD130 will see you great fuel economy and they can be mapped to ~170bhp on stock turbo/internals with no real reliability issues.

Quick Reply

Latest