'modern' arranged marriage

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
how does it work in modern day?
Im genuinely curious as my parents have said ill be getting it, but how. Ive always closely related it to forced marriage. but on my friend told me you go on dates and stuff and i was like wtf??
SoonToBeExpat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I think it very much depends on the culture. Personally I have no idea. But under UK law, if you are being placed into a marriage forcefully or without your consent then this is 100% illegal and you should seek contact with the authorities.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
how does it work in modern day?
Im genuinely curious as my parents have said ill be getting it, but how. Ive always closely related it to forced marriage. but on my friend told me you go on dates and stuff and i was like wtf??
If feel as you can't say no to this marriage, then it is a forced marriage.
glassalice
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If feel as you can't say no to this marriage, then it is a forced marriage.
Didn't mean to go anon.
There is nothing wrong with an arranged marriage in principal if both parties are able to freely consent.
https://forcedmarriage.campaign.gov.uk/
Last edited by glassalice; 4 months ago
npic9
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I’m presuming your south Asian

The difference between arranged marriage and forced is that with arranged marriages you both have consented to meet one and other and get married to each other. However when it comes to forced marriages either one or both parties does not have a say as your family is forcing you. Under U.K. law it is illegal for forced marriages.

Obviously there are pro and cons to both love and arrange marriages, it’s still common these days amongst south Asians as many find it easier for their family to look for their partner. It’s basically a blind date set up by your family/parents and if you don’t like the partner then you have every right to decline.
Last edited by npic9; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
37.57%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
10.05%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.35%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
24.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.23%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise