The Student Room Group

Should we be forced to have cameras on for online school?

Should we be forced to have cameras on for online school even if it is a safeguarding issue?
I mean everyone turns up and most people have microphones on and I don't have a cam or a mic but I still do my work and interact in lessons.
So why should we all be forced to do so?

Scroll to see replies

If we had to have cameras on I literally just wouldn’t show up to any of my lessons. That makes me so uncomfortable lol.
Original post by cchloepx
If we had to have cameras on I literally just wouldn’t show up to any of my lessons. That makes me so uncomfortable lol.

same
Reply 3
Original post by parii_xd
Should we be forced to have cameras on for online school even if it is a safeguarding issue?
I mean everyone turns up and most people have microphones on and I don't have a cam or a mic but I still do my work and interact in lessons.
So why should we all be forced to do so?

yes, to check you are paying attention ...or that someone isn't impersonating you
We've got a new rule that cameras have to be on for all lessons and I literally hate it because it makes me really uncomfortable
I don't turn my camera on for online lessons even though we're "supposed to / meant to" as I don't want people to see into my bedroom or my working study space and I think it's super uncomfortable. For other people I imagine it can be dangerous and a serious safeguarding issue and so it should never be complusory. Personally I have black duct tape over my computer camera anyway incase of spies or hackers.
Reply 6
Yes. They want to make sure that its actually you, and also that you are doing your work and not roaming around your house instead of paying attention.
I felt uncomfortable with my camera on too so I moved my desk to an empty corner where nobody could see the rest of my room. Its a simple fix.
Reply 7
Nobody would care or notice if you have your camera on, its just to make it so the teacher isnt talking to some black void on a screen
My school have said we aren’t allowed to have our cameras on even if we wanted to.
My college doesn’t let us but are deciding. I personally think it’s good because lessons become more fun and we are actually learning rather than saying oh there’s 10 min left until this boring lesson ends.
People will ask questions and won’t shy away etc
We don't have to have them on, but it is a way of teachers knowing who is on or not. Some people don't have a mic, they just type their answer in to the chat
i would feel uncomfortable to do so
but lessons are usually have no cameras on
I usually would prefer to put my camera on but some other students in my classes don’t.
Reply 13
Original post by Deggs_14
I don't turn my camera on for online lessons even though we're "supposed to / meant to" as I don't want people to see into my bedroom or my working study space and I think it's super uncomfortable. For other people I imagine it can be dangerous and a serious safeguarding issue and so it should never be complusory. Personally I have black duct tape over my computer camera anyway incase of spies or hackers.

how exactly is turning a camera on for a school lesson dangerous or a safeguarding issue?
Reply 14
No, because all of our lessons are recorded and I don't want me or my room to be recorded. I don't speak either, I use the chatbox.

Having cameras on isn't necessary or beneficial to the lesson, the content can still be delivered effectively (I'm mainly talking about sixth form).
(edited 3 years ago)
I think we should, if everyone has to have it on then you'll become comfortable with it. It's better for the teachers and increases engagement from yourself and the class. As for the 'I don't want people to see my room' you can move to a different place or blur your background/virtual screen. I don't always turn mine on because sometimes only a couple of people have theirs on but I still think it should be compulsory, or you should have it on at least once a day.
Original post by ANM775
how exactly is turning a camera on for a school lesson dangerous or a safeguarding issue?

It's pretty unlikely and complicated but people can be in foster care or be abuse victims and their parent doesn't know where they are. If someone on the call's family member recognizes them and knows the parents their safety can be compromised.
Reply 17
Original post by linedpaper
It's pretty unlikely and complicated but people can be in foster care or be abuse victims and their parent doesn't know where they are. If someone on the call's family member recognizes them and knows the parents their safety can be compromised.

couldn't being recognised happen if said child visits the shop for example or walks down the road, or being collected from school?

should said child be locked indoors 24/7 too?
I personally dont think so as it would make many people uncomfortable (including me) and also in some sites like microsoft teams you can pin someone and it shows their camera on the screen fr u which can be really embarrasing fr some people.
Original post by linedpaper

If the safeguarding risk was that grave, it would be highly unlikely that the child would be placed in an area that their parents had contacts in and even more unlikely that they would be placed in a school that family members attend.

In cases like that of course there could be individual exemptions granted. Teachers aren't tyrants.

Quick Reply

Latest