Adhilm18
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can someone tell me what you actually do as a civil engineer and what its like studying it in university, was it interesting? did you enjoy it?

Also I heard that mot people who do an engineering degree usually go for a career in finance, can anyone tell me more about this?
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Adhilm18)
Can someone tell me what you actually do as a civil engineer and what its like studying it in university, was it interesting? did you enjoy it?

Also I heard that mot people who do an engineering degree usually go for a career in finance, can anyone tell me more about this?
Hi there!
My name is Anna and I am studying civil engineering at the University of Surrey. I am in my placement year (3rd year) so I am actually working with a company in their highways department, doing tasks related to highway design and working with other civil engineers.

To answer your first question, what do you do as a civil engineer? Civil engineers are involved in the design of structures such as bridges, buildings, tunnels, drainage systems, roads, etc. The list is honestly so broad and endless. There are two sides to civil engineering, one is consulting where you are based in the office helping out with the design side of things and doing calculations as well as the occasional site visits. The other side is contracting where you are site based, and making sure the the designs produced match up with what's happening on site. So my placement that I am doing is consulting based. I would be working in the office but now currently working from home due to Covid.

How I found my course in 1st year at Surrey:

There are a lot of contact hours with face-to-face teaching and they teach the basics so everyone is on the same page. There are Maths modules in both semesters and it has a lot of overlap with A-level Maths and Further Maths. A few modules, such as Maths as well as Materials and Statics, are shared with other engineering departments so the class sizes will be huge. However, most of the modules are only for civil engineering students, which was good as I got to know my course mates and make friends a lot better. It is also a huge advantage because the lectures are more interactive due to the smaller class size, and it’s easier to ask lecturers for help

2nd year at Surrey

I found the course quite intense when I got into second year, which I’m sure everyone will say is the case with every degree. The content goes into a lot more detail. From this year onwards, each mark and percentage count towards the final grade you get when you graduate so there is that added pressure. First year is about getting people on the same page but once you get into second year, you have less face-to-face teaching than 1st year. This is to encourage you to learn more independently and work with course mates to help each other out. You will still have tutorials to ask lecturers for help and, not to forget, you can email lecturers and arrange a meeting so you can ask for help in person. Some of the lecturers are just amazing and they’re so willing to put time aside to help you out. I had quite a lot of coursework during the semester as some modules were purely coursework based, so it was a challenge trying to manage deadlines and to stay on top of lectures.
In my class there were around 55 people, which is small compared to other courses. Nonetheless, it meant we could count on each other for help, and made the stress worth it because I got to know my course mates a lot better and I’ve made friends for life!

As I mentioned I am on placement and I have to say I am enjoying it a lot minus the working from situation . It's great to be actually doing the practical things that you learnt in the lectures and I am learning something everyday and doing different tasks each day. It's definitely more enjoyable than sitting in lectures and you have a genuine appreciation for the work that goes behind building things. People at work are willing to help you out and each other so there's always room for growth.

Studying engineering means you can get a lot of transferrable skills which are beneficial in other careers. It uses a lot of maths so it's a helpful skill to have in finance.

If you have any more questions related to the course, Surrey, accommodation or just uni advice, I will be happy to help!!

All the best
Anna Civil Eng
MY NAME JEFF.W
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you can either specialize in structures or highway if you need more explanation you can DM
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (31)
13.84%
Virtual campus tours/open days (50)
22.32%
Live streaming events (21)
9.38%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (21)
9.38%
A uni comparison tool (51)
22.77%
An in-person event when available (50)
22.32%