Can an introvert be a manager?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
There is a placement that I've found and it's an operations manager, where I'll be required to manage a team etc. It looks promising, but my one fear... People say I can be quiet and reserved (even shy).

Is it wise for me to apply for this role and do my best to become more strict and leaderlike or not apply at all?
2003a39
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Introversion is when social interaction drains you, being quiet and shy are common associations (not definitions) of that.

I think it's definitely possible, as your comfort in the new environment should increase.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 2003a39)
Introversion is when social interaction drains you, being quiet and shy are common associations (not definitions) of that.

I think it's definitely possible, as your comfort in the new environment should increase.
thank you xxx
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm relatively introverted (a big improvement from being extremely introverted five years ago), and work as a retail manager. It's not really a barrier as long as you're able to communicate effectively.

I would also stress that strictness is one of the least important parts of being a manager, in my opinion. This would not be an area I concentrated on developing yourself.
Last edited by Gofre; 1 month ago
ER141
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It might take a little longer to get used to than for an extrovert, but absolutely it is possible. You will become comfortable with the environment over time
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Gofre)
I'm relatively introverted (a big improvement from being extremely introverted five years ago), and work as a retail manager. It's not really a barrier as long as you're able to communicate effectively.

I would also stress that strictness is one of the least important parts of being a manager, in my opinion. This would not be an area I concentrated on developing yourself.
ok thank you so much xxx
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ER141)
It might take a little longer to get used to than for an extrovert, but absolutely it is possible. You will become comfortable with the environment over time
thanks xxx
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
There is a placement that I've found and it's an operations manager, where I'll be required to manage a team etc. It looks promising, but my one fear... People say I can be quiet and reserved (even shy).

Is it wise for me to apply for this role and do my best to become more strict and leaderlike or not apply at all?
Rather than ask us if it is acceptable, here is your interview question:

You obviously thought you could do this job because you applied, so how will you be an effective team manager as a quiet and shy person?
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are in good company.

Introvert leaders:

Greta Thunberg
Bill Gates
Steven Spielberg
Mark Zuckerberg
Steve Wozniak
Abraham Lincoln
Mahatma Gandhi
Elon Musk
Barack Obama
Larry Page
Rosa Parks
Christina Aguilera
Emma Watson
Charles Darwin
Lady Gaga
Last edited by uberteknik; 1 month ago
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yes its absolutely possible. have faith in yourself. you can do it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (608)
49.19%
No (628)
50.81%

Watched Threads