Sabrina82
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi , ıs there anyone on here that could help. Currently doing an access course and the ethics assignment is boggling my mind.
ONatusch
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hiya,

What is the context of the ethics? If you let us know, it might be easier to advise you
Sabrina82
Rep:
?
Hi , it’s about the four theories e.g consequentialist , unitilitarianism , deontology and postmodern ethics and relating them to a medical example and the four principles of ethics so autonomy , beneficence , non malificence snd justice and relating these to euthanasia or abortion . Thank you so much I hope u can advise a little to get my head around it.
ONatusch
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi There,

With regards to some videos about ethics, a final year medical student called Ollie Burton makes some brilliant youtube videos. He has a series called "medical ethics made easy" that is worth giving a watch.

As for the idea of euthanasia and aborting, you need to consider each pillar of ethics separately as they will likely yield different outcomes. Also, I personally take a pro-choice stance, so my views may differ to that of others.

As for autonomy, it needs to be understood that all people approaching the NHS have their own free will (disregarding the issue of mental disabilities) and are free to make their own decisions based on healthcare. If the patient wishes to die or have an abortion, then under the autonomy section, it is their own right to do so. Whether this should be assisted by medical professionals is where it gets tricky.

Beneficence covers the idea that the HCP should work towards the benefit of the patient. So would having an abortion or being euthanized be beneficial to the patient, why yes? why no?

Non-maleficence is the idea of "do no harm" in the Hippocratic oath. If you support someone in dying, then you have done harm by killing them. With regards to abortion, that takes a bit more thinking as we all know of the ongoing debate of pro-choice and pro-life. Would having a child cause harm to the patient? Would refusing an abortion bring the patient any harm? This then links back to the idea of autonomy as they have the freedom to choose to have an abortion.

Justice simply covers the idea of fairness. Everyone treated equally. If you decide to proceed with an abortion for one patient and then another comes through the door with the exact same situation, it would be unethical to treat them differently just for the sake of it.

I hope these explanations are helpful, but feel free to ask any follow up questions. Most of the content is taken from my own experience with Medicine interviews that I went through this year, so should be relatively accurate
vicoria86
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Sabrina82)
Hi , ıs there anyone on here that could help. Currently doing an access course and the ethics assignment is boggling my mind.
what unit are you on
Sabrina82
Rep:
?
Thank you that’s a great help 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (184)
43.81%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (48)
11.43%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.86%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
21.19%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (42)
10%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (24)
5.71%

Watched Threads