The Student Room Group

Army Cadets

Does anyone know when Army Cadets in England will reopen for new recruits? I’ve sent my application and I’ve been put on the waiting list but, they haven’t specified when they’ll be available to take in new recruits. Apologies for putting this question under the advice forum, I prefer to keep anonymous. Thank you.
Reply 1
Hey anon, you'll probably find no one knows when they'll reopen because there's so much unpredictability with the pandemic, I wouldn't count on anything until at least September (especially because cadets aren't a priority at the moment) when the majority of the country has been vaccinated. All the best ! (Also I hear it's just a lot of marching and nothing else really)
Reply 2
Original post by ziggy03
(Also I hear it's just a lot of marching and nothing else really)

Disingenuous and misleading. Every unit is different.

OP, keep an eye on the social media of your nearest unit(s) for when they reopen to new recruits and then go have a look.
Reply 3
Original post by ziggy03
Hey anon, you'll probably find no one knows when they'll reopen because there's so much unpredictability with the pandemic, I wouldn't count on anything until at least September (especially because cadets aren't a priority at the moment) when the majority of the country has been vaccinated. All the best ! (Also I hear it's just a lot of marching and nothing else really)

The only true bit of this post is the first sentence - we don't know. Cadets are considered a priority as they come under youth services. As for the marching, as Drewski says each unit is going to be run slightly differently, but marching is a very small part of the cadet experience. For Army Cadets, most of what we do is really geared towards fieldcraft.

I would guess that we will be allowed to open when schools start to open, but that is just my personal guess, nothing official.

Quick Reply

Latest