covid vaccine

Watch
username5536818
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does that mean you’re definitely not getting corona?
linedpaper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, but if you get it it lessens your chances of getting it badly
username5536818
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by linedpaper)
No, but if you get it it lessens your chances of getting it badly
Can you get it for free? And does everyone have to get it?
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Boobsarenice)
In the UK you can only get it via the NHS right now. They're going through the priority groups right now.
hajima
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
A vaccine can’t stop you from becoming infected with a virus at all, but it can stop you from getting COVID as your immune system is able to quickly destroy the coronavirus pathogen in a secondary immune response.

Vaccines are not always able to grant pathogen resistance to viruses that have mutated because the shape of the 'cell-surface' (viruses are acellular so this term is used liberally) antigens may have been changed, so memory T cells left over are now no longer specific to the pathogen so a secondary immune response cannot occur. In this case the vaccine is not effective and you can get COVID.
Last edited by hajima; 1 month ago
Wolfbangenoff
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi

In plain English, yes you still can get it but hopefully less severity.
You can still have the vac, get it and spread it.

Flu jabs, people still get the flu IE those that have had jabs but in most cases
the severity is reduced and this is what we are aiming for

The Covid vaccines maay not work against new, know strians or ones we do not
know about. Good news is that Covid vaccines can be relatively easily altered to meet needs

Flu jabs are done every year as the virus always mutates and there have
been some years where a flur jab did not work againt a new variant but
on the whole it does.

This new strain is more deadly just as I thought and now number ten is saying that.

Young or old, please follow the rules and wear a mask as per rules and if you can,
go the extra mile and wear at all times in public. It does reduce spread and can protect
those wearing to an extent.

If we all abide by the rules, we can get on top of this. The more people that ignore the rules, party, etc,
the worse this will get.

Thank you
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Boobsarenice)
In the UK it's free, and no not everyone has to get it. I say "free" I think the astra zenecca vaccine costs something like around £2-£3 to manufacture, however the government is footing the bill for the time being, however make no doubt in coming years we will all be paying for through higher taxes.
Wolfbangenoff
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JaseyB)
In the UK it's free, and no not everyone has to get it. I say "free" I think the astra zenecca vaccine costs something like around £2-£3 to manufacture, however the government is footing the bill for the time being, however make no doubt in coming years we will all be paying for through higher taxes.
It's not "free" and that is a fact, well not to everyone. At the point of delivery it is but me, my family and millions of others pay taxes and others have paid taxes.

It is free to those that have never paid taxes only.

The oxford is about 3 quid, Pfizer is about 28 quid a dose but sure if single or two doses. The other one we have approved is about 35/38 quid as we bought it late in the day and due here by march but imo after that.

I pay taxes and when people say nhs is free it winds me up - to those never worked and to those from another country that come here for treatment, have a baby etc it is free but not the majority
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Wolfbangenoff)
It's not "free" and that is a fact, well not to everyone. At the point of delivery it is but me, my family and millions of others pay taxes and others have paid taxes.

It is free to those that have never paid taxes only.

The oxford is about 3 quid, Pfizer is about 28 quid a dose but sure if single or two doses. The other one we have approved is about 35/38 quid as we bought it late in the day and due here by march but imo after that.

I pay taxes and when people say nhs is free it winds me up - to those never worked and to those from another country that come here for treatment, have a baby etc it is free but not the majority
Of course however unless you pay an enormous amount of tax, if you add up all the tax a person pays and compare it to what would otherwise be medical bills accrued over their lifetime they are getting some of if not most of their treatment free, with the excess obvisouly been made up by those that pay higher taxes like those in the 50% tax band as an example.
Wolfbangenoff
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JaseyB)
Of course however unless you pay an enormous amount of tax, if you add up all the tax a person pays and compare it to what would otherwise be medical bills accrued over their lifetime they are getting some of if not most of their treatment free, with the excess obvisouly been made up by those that pay higher taxes like those in the 50% tax band as an example.
Yes we do pay loads and my parents were 40% payers as is my OH, my siblings, family, etc.
So it's not free and even people paying the lower rate like me inc NI which is another tax initially set out for NHS,
we are paying especially in England. Scotlan and Wales I think all get free at point of service prescriptions.

As my and my OH incomes is an X amount we do not even get child benefits.
We pay loads for dental and opticians. Only those that don't work and have never worked get it free just
like the free housing.

people like me and my family will be paying even more as you can't get those to pay that made a life of living from hand to mouth.

Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (20)
21.51%
Unhappy (27)
29.03%
Conflicted (46)
49.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed